Panel fence - neighbour banked 3ft of soil against it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A young guy moved in a across the back from me about a year ago. I have never met nor been introduced to him.

Last night i found out that he has built up behind my panel fence with 3 ft of soil and the panels have started to give way. I think eventually it will cause its collapse.

Whats the legal situation with something like this and how should one approach it?

Thanks

Graeme

Sponsored Links
I personally would be knocking on first thing asking him to remove the soil before his new found garden level collapses into my garden. Once more rain comes it won't be long before those panels give way. If he doesn't agree call planning first thing Tuesday as far as permission to raise ground levels by 3ft. I'd also call the council incase he's renting to see what think.

He may just be incredible nieve in which case a polite visit telling him the consequence of what may happen to his new levels unless a suitable retaining wall is built may do the trick.

I find the hardest thing in situations like this is being nice about it. My head also runs at a million miles an hour so thanks for your reply, it sprinkles a bit of sanity on the situation.

How could anyone think this was a good or acceptable idea? The overall stupidity of people alarms me sometimes.

I find the hardest thing in situations like this is being nice about it. My head also runs at a million miles an hour so thanks for your reply, it sprinkles a bit of sanity on the situation.

How could anyone think this was a good or acceptable idea? The overall stupidity of people alarms me sometimes.

Oh don't get me wrong I'd be incredible ****ed off to but give him one chance to remove it if he doesn't cooperate planning and the council would be next to go down official channels.

Has he raised his levels leading upto 3 ft at your panels or just piled a load of soil against the fence 3 ft high? I presumed the first if the latter and he wont cooperate I'd try and remove the panels and shovel it all back so pressure is off the panels. Your not trespassing **** em.

Sponsored Links
Well in the interest of neighbourly spirit we had a chat. He thought it would hold the weight apparently? So i offered to help if needed and left him to figure out a solution.

Using a panel fence as a retaining structure for 3ft of soil isnt a good idea.... just in case anyone ever thinks it might be ;)

would also mention you should have nothing [earth leaves]touching the fence at the bottom as it will hold damp and cause rot
you need sacarificial timbers like gravel boards that can be easily replaced

Think yourself lucky you don't live next door to a council house, they came round to neighbours today and basically washed their hands of this lot..

Our neighbour hasn't done any of it and they expect her to pay for a skip and shovel it all in (she's nearly 60!).

I'm going to have to dig a trench and fit concrete gravel boards by the looks of things.

If I personally complaint to Council it would probably drop her in the sh1t so I'll just deal with it.

The other house has just had 2 skips worth removed FOC by the same bloody concil so wheres the fairness in that?.

20180520_101829.jpg

Thats a real mess, I hope you get that sorted and god knows what you will find in there.

Still no digging out yet from my neighbour so we will see...

Cheers, will post some pics on my fence thread when I do!.

Hope you get your issue sorted out without too much hastle!.

Shame as I've e spent 3 weeks of nights and weekends with the wife to replace 40 posts but that is still niggling in the back of my mind..

20180525_195345.jpg

Think yourself lucky you don't live next door to a council house, they came round to neighbours today and basically washed their hands of this lot..

Our neighbour hasn't done any of it and they expect her to pay for a skip and shovel it all in (she's nearly 60!).

The other house has just had 2 skips worth removed FOC by the same bloody council so wheres the fairness in that?.
]
One house on benefits ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back