Panel Mount Isolator - Lock ON?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, is it possible to lock a panel mount isolator in the ON position?
Or is it required to be easily turn offable?

This is for a solar system and there are 2 circuit breakers in the line too. Which I believe if locked on will / can still internally trip off in the event of an issue?

I want the system left ON, but also safe and legal. Hence the question.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
One of the main reasons for installing isolators is to be easily able to safely isolate a system for maintenance etc.

Therefore it's not permitted to lock isolators ON, only OFF.

you can put covers over them, marked (e.g.) "life support system, do not turn off" or "intruder alarm" or "freezer"

but some people will still do it.

s-l400.jpg

I think you really have to include enough information for people to know why.

@JohnD Is there a regulation stating that.

Another opinion / side to that same argument would be its for maintenance.. therefore can be locked on so long as it can be turned off for said maintenance.

Sponsored Links
you can put covers over them, marked (e.g.) "life support system, do not turn off" or "intruder alarm" or "freezer"

a cover made of a bear trap perhaps?

@JohnD Is there a regulation stating that.

Another opinion / side to that same argument would be its for maintenance.. therefore can be locked on so long as it can be turned off for said maintenance.
In my opinion it would be better to remove it than to lock it on as long as there is a method of safe isolation, but then it would not be compliant.

s-l400.jpg

I think you really have to include enough information for people to know why.

Unfortunately the "people" were talking about are the Ex. for some reason she has a bee in her knickers about keeping the solar system turned off depite the fact itll earn her £500 a year plus whatever she saves in elec bills.. so I want it locked on.. that or ill have to stand guard physically in front of the isolator during daylight hours.

In my opinion it would be better to remove it than to lock it on as long as there is a method of safe isolation, but then it would not be compliant.

Cheers. think im onto a looser here then.
Needs to be safe as the kids are in the house. and any isolation method will mean 'she' will turn it off.

Thanks all.

Unfortunately the "people" were talking about are the Ex. for some reason she has a bee in her knickers about keeping the solar system turned off depite the fact itll earn her £500 a year plus whatever she saves in elec bills.. so I want it locked on.. that or ill have to stand guard physically in front of the isolator during daylight hours.
Bypass it and fit another where she won't find it.

One of the main reasons for installing isolators is to be easily able to safely isolate a system for maintenance etc. Therefore it's not permitted to lock isolators ON, only OFF.
That, in itself, presumably would not be a reason for not allowing it to be locked 'on' - if it could be locked either 'on' or 'off', then one would obviously use the latter for maintenance etc.

If the ONLY reason for this switch is for the purpose of maintenance etc., then I see no reason why it would not be reasonable for it to be usually 'locked on' (but 'locked off' for maintenance) - but if it were also intended as an 'emergency switch, then 'locking on' would obviously be a no-no.

Kind Regards, John

That, in itself, presumably would not be a reason for not allowing it to be locked 'on' - if it could be locked either 'on' or 'off', then one would obviously use the latter for maintenance etc.

If the ONLY reason for this switch is for the purpose of maintenance etc., then I see no reason why it would not be reasonable for it to be usually 'locked on' (but 'locked off' for maintenance) - but if it were also intended as an 'emergency switch, then 'locking on' would obviously be a no-no.

Kind Regards, John

hmmmmmm

That was my thinking. It does only have lock off holes so would need drilling.

Kind Regards, John
This might even come under 'Electricity at work act' regs, even though it's domestic.

Do I assume you are not living there?

yep not living there but paying half the mtg. joint ownership.. so I have the right to stand there all day. Could even plug my laptop in and work from the cupboard. the solar would effectively charge it ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back