Panel/no jog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to cut a panel in the back of a kitchen cabinet so I can get to a safety cutout unit I am going to install.

I've just had 4 months of building work, and could do without buying a jigsaw for one job (and I can't envisage using it again in the near future. Plus I don't like buying cheap tools as they are bad value for money).

I thought someone clever might have an idea for cutting a panel in the back of a kitchen cabinet without using a jigsaw.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo n655

plenty of ideas is the unit fitted !!!!!!!!
if it is you would be safer gluing a bit off wood or carfully drill a hole to hook your finger through to support the centre you can use a stanley knife a pad saw a tennon saw a hacksaw blade with taped up end sholdnt be to dificult assuming its 3mm hardboaord if its mdf the stanley knife idea might stuggle
you know you can get a jigsaw for a tenner
http://www.index.co.uk/rf/navigatio...de+matchall&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Np=1&N=0

Yeah the unit is fitted but no problem to take out. The back panel is about 15mm thick!

Ah-ha £10. I might just be able to stretch to that!!

I once saw someone do a job like this using a 4 inch angle grinder as the cabinet could not be moved and the back was very close to a wall. It didn't look too bad after a bit of sanding and it was very quick if you don't mind the smell of scorched hdf/hardboard!

Sponsored Links
you could use a floorboard saw...but then that would probably cost more than the £10 jugsaw. Alternatively you can get a small saw blade that fits in to a stanley knife and is great for such things (just need to drill a hole to start off)

Thanks for all your replies. I never knew you could get little saws to fit into Stanley knives. I will look out for them.

I have actually done the job, I decided to mount it on the panel, rather than taking a lump out of the panel. It is just under a shelf and looks nice and neat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back