PANEL PIN REMOVAL FROM ORIGINAL DOOR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're in the proccess of striping all the original doors in our house, which were hardboard panelled for some years. We've had them dipped which has effected the colour, plus we seem to have one door that must have been repanelled. As it has a boarder of nails around the edges to both sides, that have been hammered flush. Does anyone know of a way to remove said panel pins without causing too much damage to the door? I was thinking of spot welding something to each head then pulling them out by hand, is that feasible? Also, is there anything out there which may restore the colour or at least remove some of the whitening that the dipping has produced.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Panel pins imply very small heads - not much more than the shank. If that's the case I would punch them below the surface and then fill the hole. If they are flat-headed nails then you could try levering them up a bit using an old small screwdriver, possibly sharpened and with a bit of thin metal under the fulcrum point, and then getting some pincers onto them.
(or you could panel them over! :LOL: :rolleyes: )

definatly knock them in anything else will cause more dammage assuming they are pannel pins

take a nail 2" or larger [4" best]flaten the point with the hammer /file/sandpaper and use this to punchthe pins in

Ste W n Big All,

KNOCK THEM IN, why didn't I think of that!! It would seem that I've tried to over complicate it. I was expecting someone to suggest this new tool that I've never seen before, as I'm a bit of a restoration freak.

Just need to sort the colour restoration out now,

Cheers you guys,

Ste

Sponsored Links
Just need to sort the colour restoration out now.

Ste

Hi Ste

If you have had them stripped using a caustic solution, then a lot of the woods natural resin, and hence colour will have been removed. (N.B. Caustic may also have dissolved glue in rails and stiles.)

There is also a possibility that whitening has been caused by insufficient nutralising / rinsing of the caustic solution. If this is the case you can nutralise using a weak acid solution i.e. vinegar then rinsing.

You then need to put some "body" back into the wood. Can't remember exactly what I used in terms of oils - coloron rings a bell - but finished with buffed beeswax. Hope this is of some help.

TonyV

edited - P.s. As with everything test a small area first :D

Tony,

Cheers for the advice mate, mucch appreciated. Apart from now I've got no excuse to get the doors finished now!

Ste

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back