Panel pins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, I've got some panel pins from eBay, however, I'm wondering if they're actually panel pins!

See the pic (that's me testing, not actually work!!)

I very vaguely remember my dad having panel pins, which once driven in, were nearly invisible, not having a round head like these. Did I imagine them?!

Wondering if I need to search for something else, scotia pins, lost head nails, something different?!

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20170821_184130.jpg
    IMG_20170821_184130.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 102
Sponsored Links
As I recall, the original 'panel pins' actually had a rhomboid head which gave as little trace as possible once in......they were cadmium plated.
Nowadays, lost head / panel pins don't seem to have much difference!
John :)

I have a punch from when I was doing my floors. Gah, so they don't make the oldskool ones anymore then? Seems I basically have 'nails' now tbh!!

Sponsored Links
Nearly invisible? Try veneer pins. These are nearly invisible, but delicate to work with (hold in an old wooden clothes peg and knock in with a 4 to 6oz. Warrington hammer). Still made - I used some earleir this year to effect repairs on a glazed oak screen

for ease, simplicity and speed, you can use a pin-rammer or ram-pin

Not often seen, but still made. Old ones on ebay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back