panelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are redecorating the hall ,stairs and landing and are thinking of putting tongue and groove timber on the bottom half. What is the best way to fix and what's the standard height. Also what do i cap the top off with? Thanks Phil.

Sponsored Links
How about a batten running along the top and bottom of where the boards will be, screwed to the wall and the paneling then tacked or screwed into it?

As for finishing the top, a nice strip of soft wood dado rail looks good.

The top looks nice finished with a stub windowboard: ie a board with a bullnose to the front edge. In an ideal world one with a rebate to cover any discrepancy with the t and g ends.

The best height depends on the proportions of the room and the architectural style.
You can buy proper capping moulding, or make it yourself by routing wood, or use a stand-in like architrave or window board as mentioned. The options are endless really. Better to see what you can actually get hold of conveniently.
Btw what you're proposing is called wainscoting, not panelling.
http://www.thejoyofmoldings.com/pattern-book-molding-millwork-designs/wainscoting-designs/

Sponsored Links
Would it work if I glue the tongue and groove to the wall and then finish off with a quadrant beading or similar along the bottom and an edging piece to overlap the top fixed in place to the wall?

The best suggestion for finishing the top is a bull nose chunky window board type moulding. Anything else will be a dust trap and will feel weird when people inevitably run their hands along it on a daily basis.

Would it work if I glue the tongue and groove to the wall and then finish off with a quadrant beading or similar along the bottom and an edging piece to overlap the top fixed in place to the wall?
Yes it would work. It'll be more of a pain to remove all the glued boards in the future though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back