paper & plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have one wall which is plasterboard. previously it had lining paper over the plasterboard and painted. i have removed most the paper of, but some of the lining paper is difficult to remove and has started to peel the plasterboard if i try to hard.

my question is as the majority of the paper is removed, but some bits left, is it ok to score it and skim?? if i try any more to remove paper its will f ** up the plasterboard. its only bits and pieces of paper left??

Sponsored Links
i have one wall which is plasterboard. previously it had lining paper over the plasterboard and painted. i have removed most the paper of, but some of the lining paper is difficult to remove and has started to peel the plasterboard if i try to hard.

my question is as the majority of the paper is removed, but some bits left, is it ok to score it and skim?? if i try any more to remove paper its will f ** up the plasterboard. its only bits and pieces of paper left??

Is it possible to to task a 9.5 board on top this one wall?

I would not trust the paper. HAve you tried scoring it , soaking it with washing up liquid a few times (maybe over a couple of days) and seeing itf it will come off any easier?

no it cant be overboarded as it wont be able to take ther extra weight. even if i get most the paper off, and only have slight drips n dabs, wud this be ok??

Don't be silly the extra weight is negligible.

Sponsored Links
Don't be silly the extra weight is negligible.
You’re now suffering the results of a previous cheap & nasty DIY bodge; with residual paper & damage to the board face, don’t attempt to skim as it will likely end in tears.

Regardless if it’s a stud wall or dot & dab, rip it all down & start again with 12.5mm square edge boards, tape & skim for a proper job. You could overboard with 9.5mm & it’s unlikely the weight would be problem with D&D, it certainly won’t be with stud; but why bother!

i once had to skim a room in a hospital it was all board and it was absolutely oblitorated the walls had a vinal covering that was ripped off revealing some of the most messed up boards you have ever seen what i done was pva the whole room and skimmed it leaving a rough finish with a spongefloat to create a new background to be skimmed the next day, it came out nice so i wouldent be concerned about ripping tiny pieces of paper off a board in case i damaged the board underneath. Also i know at least one spread that has skimmed a room that was all lining paper he skimmed over the whole lot its not something i would recommend i just thought i would mention it

I do believe you can skim anything with the right prep & I’ve done a few definite no, no’s but you have to understand what your doing & sometimes it’s just not worth the hassle.

if the paper wont come off id skim over it wouldnt unibond it though unless the chalk is showing from the plasterboard then id unibond the chalk to kill the suction

i once had to skim a room in a hospital it was all board and it was absolutely oblitorated the walls had a vinal covering that was ripped off revealing some of the most messed up boards you have ever seen what i done was pva the whole room and skimmed it leaving a rough finish with a spongefloat to create a new background to be skimmed the next day, it came out nice so i wouldent be concerned about ripping tiny pieces of paper off a board in case i damaged the board underneath. Also i know at least one spread that has skimmed a room that was all lining paper he skimmed over the whole lot its not something i would recommend i just thought i would mention it

In theory, if the paper is stuck to the wall, and you seal it up so no moisture can get in , you could work on to it BUT if anything happened it would be your fault, as you should be aware of the risk. Imagine having to take it all off, and redecorate a finished room - not something I would leave to chance myself.

My old man always says ( only halfd jokingly) the best way to get paper off a wall was to plaster it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back