Papering tomorrow.............

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys been a few years since I last papered but can't get out of this one. Just a quick ask to jog my memory ....paper away from windows or towards them, and any other tips re good joints.

Sponsored Links
As I understand it. you start at one side of the window and paper into the side reveal, then carry on across, wrapping the next piece down and under the top reveal. You will end up with a bit on the underside that you will need to patch - or if you're like me, several bits. I hate doing windows.

I get the impression your talking about the best to place start, either towards or away from the window.
If thats the case, then the only guide I can give you is that you always work towards point of entry.

For example, you stand at the room door, and you look into the room, so you would normally have the breast wall in front of you, or at least a facing wall.

Then, you would normally work as your looking at the front wall, towards you on the left.
So you paper towards the door, (point of entry)coming of the left of the facing wall, and the same would apply to the right of the facing wall, but you would paper coming towards you on the right.

If there is for example a window on the left wall or right, it would still be the same, you work towards the door.

You should never paper starting from the door frame going into the room, that when you will see the joins, but, working towards the door frame you wont.

Hope this makes sense. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Yes agree with spice, generally start at the furthest corner from the door and work left and right from that corner so you end up back at the doorway.

Sponsored Links
Yes agree with spice, generally start at the furthest corner from the door and work left and right from that corner so you end up back at the doorway.

Thankyou Robbie :D You said in exactly 2 sentences what I tried to say.

War and peace has nothing on me :rolleyes:

What do you guys do, when you finish back at the door casing and there's a 2 - 3" gap there.
Do you lose the pattern there, because I wouldn't.

It would show every time anyone walked out the door.

That would never happen to me, as I measure out before I start.
I always manage to leave myself at least 8-10"
No matter what size the room is, I always measure up for that reason, as I cannot stand tiny little strips specially where you can see them.

Sorry Spice, I don't understand.

My point is..how do you arrive back at the doorway corner and match it?

Sorry Spice, I don't understand.

My point is..how do you arrive back at the doorway corner and match it?

Sorry growler, I misunderstood.
Yes, I would normally lose it above the door, very rarely anyone looks above the door, I think its better to lose it there than any other corner.

When you walk into a room, your eye normally goes to the wall in front, or facing wall, and travels either side, plus if your sitting on the sofa, nothing on TV, your eyes travel.
But, its not often peoples eyes travel above the door, well I dont lol

they do in my house, because I`ve got broken pediments over the doors , each with a marble bust:cool:

Thanks guys, by luck more than judgement thats what I did though I've hit a problem, please see my latest request for help................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back