Paramount walling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm currently in process of renewing my bathroom suite, at the moment I have a power shower with a hot/cold feed coming down from the loft through the ceiling then running down the wall around 400mm to the shower.

I'm wanting to replace this with a valved mixer shower with the pump situated in the airing cupboard

My question is would i be able to run the water pipes in the paramount wall?
then re skim over them as there being tiled over anyway?

Any help would be appreciated as the room on the other side was wallpapered only last year and really don't want to rip out the paramount and replace with stud.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can, but you will severely weaken that are of the wall (assuming we are talking about the same kind of stuff - plasterboard with cardboard inserts for strength).

yeh thats the stuff, all i was going to do was chase it out for the pipes so say 150mm wide and down a meter to the mixer? is there any way of fitting noggins or supports in this stuff ?

Had to do something similar for a friend who's bathroom I did once. He presented me with the heaviest bl0ody bar mixer drench shower you have ever seen.
The solution I came up with (considering the wall was less than 2" thick) was to cut the plasterboard off under the bath. Run the pipes up, then ply board back over the wall under the bath for support and expanding foam in the rest of the exposed area. Then the tiler did the necessaries to smooth skim and tile.

It was all rock solid in the end; but I am sure there is a better solution. This one was thought up on the spur of the moment with about half a day for me to complete 1 ½ days worth of plumbing before the tiler came in before going off on his hols.

Mate lived there with no problems for 4 years before moving.

I would strongly advise finding a better solution though!

Sponsored Links
thanks
what i was thinking was the new bath overall size is 1675mm, the room width is 1700, so as the whole wall is being tiled anyway i was going to put another 12.5mm plasterboard screwed over the top increasing the thinkness of the wall that little bit more meaning i wouldnt have to chop too far into the paramount??

if you're gonna do that, use aquapanel- may as well hack out a piece of the original wall and stick in some noggins.

Paramount is great for running pipework inside it go in the roofspace and drill through the top timber in the centre about 22mm drill bit then push the pipe down it will just break the cardboard inside. Make sure you measure where piework will exit paramount and drill holes again and make your connections, the shower valve needs to be a surface type valve.

Paul

blank the pipes or flatten them before you start shoving them down. you dont want any debris getting inside the pipe work and blocking the shower filters/valve etc.

also make sure they go down straight and dont come out on the landing....
(did that once) :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back