Paramount board and rot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening guys.

I'm looking for some advice regarding a project I have under taken and any help would be most appreciated.

I recently bought my first property, after a week my mother in law pointed out the big bow in the kitchen roof, so we went into the bathroom upstairs and found that the bathroom shower unit was leaking. The pipes are running down the inside of an airing cupboard and through a paramount wall where they meet the back of the shower mixer, so the water was running inside the paramount board (which I thought was just a regular stud wall at this point)

Me being silly, I assumed all walls would be stud walls and it was a good excuse to refit the bathroom and get brownie points from the wife. Booked a week off work, wife was away a hen doo, all was great until I realised the wall was a paramount board wall and I couldn't just tear down and put up aqua panel.

The person who fitted the bathroom (guy across the road) has also butchered the paramount board to get the bath in which I'm guessing helped the water damage.

The wall is pretty warped/separating from the damage from what I can see under the bath so I'm guessing that it needs replaced, but how do I replace the paramount panels, or is it a matter of having to tear all down and rebuild a stud wall.

I'm a mechanical fitter to trade so wood and plaster ain't my usual material of choice.

I have added a few pics.

Thanks for you time.
Al[/list]

Sponsored Links
I personally would take the plunge and relace the paramount with stud and plasterboard, as long as you have the tolerance for the thicker walls.

We usually cut through paramount walls with a recip' saw, taking care not to damage pipes or cables that may be ducted through the paramount matrix.

If I had known about the walls in the bungalow that I now live in, I would have replaced them all with concrete brick or proper studded walls with a fiberglass filling in them. I feel that they are a very poor way of constructing a building any sort of property and should be banned by the local building inspectors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back