Parapet ownership

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've asked previous roofing questions before as I need to apply new flashing but now I'm a little confused with who owns the parapet if it seems to lie within a single properties boundary like in this photo

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 17.00.50.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 17.00.50.png
    2 MB · Views: 79
Sponsored Links
The boundary line will be the centre of the party wall, does the parapet not sit evenly on top of the party wall?

The boundary line will be the centre of the party wall, does the parapet not sit evenly on top of the party wall?
the whole street seems a bit wonky as I think all the homes angle. The parapet furthest edge seems to be inline with the home paint lines and a lot of homes seem to be that way too. I'm guessing I would need a PWA if I was to change the flashing on the front of the parapet? what about the edge that runs along the inner boundary of the parapet?

Better to just talk to the neighbour, the party wall palaver is more suited to things like steel beams, not cutting flashings into the wall.

Regarding the photo have you been able to take one from straight on rather than the side? I find it hard to believe they built the top of the wall not on the bottom of it!

Sponsored Links
It doesn't really matter where the wall sits, under the PWA, the fact that it separates 2 properties, and has done since it was built, means it is a party wall. Technically you should consult with your neighbour about cutting in flashings but, given there is already a flashing there, you are really just repairing the existing. I'd crack on, just don't go at it with a jack hammer.

If I owned the blue house, I'd be a bit cheesed that they sloped the runoff onto my roof. Is that the case?
The blue could just be paint, or maybe render. New render often gets put in the wrong position. The party wall is directly below that parapet.

The red line on the photo is thru the middle of the parapet when viewed from the correct angle ( which the photo is not.)

The blue could just be paint, or maybe render. New render often gets put in the wrong position. The party wall is directly below that parapet.
You miss my point. The parapet is set to drain to the left. An owner should surely deall with their own runoff.

You miss my point. The parapet is set to drain to the left. An owner should surely deall with their own runoff.
true but I wouldn't be arguing over the rainwater from around 1m2 of roof, as long as the flashing is correct it won't cause an issue. It's a nice idea to use coping stones rather than ridge tiles as it will keep the wall further out of harms way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back