Parging / Tourching how to Stabilise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 1930's house with un-felted roof which is fine. It is water tight and a roofer has taken a look and is planning on sorting out a few tiles here and there, he basically said it is fine and unless I want to solve the problem of dust in the loft it will be good for a fair few years yet. He could sort the roof by felting but it would cost around £8K all in.

My questions are:

1) Under the tiles it is half torched and probably 50% has fallen off and the rest is very dusty. Is there anyway of stabilising what is left (not foam covering!). Maybe some kind of spray on the mortar that will stop it falling but won't be a problem in future if I need to felt the roof and use the old tiles.

2) Is it possible to get hold of mortar for me to slowly go through the roof and re-apply the loose mortar and replace where it has fallen. The mortar does not appear to have hair or grass in it. Does anyone sell some kind of premix which makes the whole process easier.

Any other advice ? Yes I know I can leave it, it would just be nice though to stop it getting worse (dust) or repair if it wasn't a major pain in the backside.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
An age old problem, this one.....pun intended! I'd consider getting stuck in with some lime mortar, doing a bit at a time. I've seen people trying to stabilise with spray foam at the slate joins underside - big mistake! Where the foam actually stuck, it caused some of the slates to lift.
Or - leave it be.....you do get a gale blowing in though.
John :)

Sorry for the delay been rushed off my feet. Anyhow what I have done is make up a 1 in 5 PVA water mix and spray the remaining torching from inside the loft. This has basically stopped them dusting and falling off. They aren't rock hard and will eventually fall off but probably a good deal later than they would if left. I might re-torch in future, not sure yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back