Parquet adhesive and finish queries...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought 36 sq m of Reclaimed Oak parquet - it is not very old however, only a few years. As such there is no Bitumen on the back, just some adhesive and grit which comes off fairly easily although i can't see myself easily getting all the hardened adhesive off. It is a fairly thin layer. I plan to lay herringbone with a 2 block edging strip.

My question is what adhesive should i use to fix this onto the concrete floor of my flat. I'm on the third floor so i assume there will be no problems with damp in the floor. Ideally i want something that will go on thick to accomadate the random bits of adhesive on the wood blocks.

Also Is it true that the best way to do the edge is to lay beyond the line and then use a saw to cut a straight line along the edge, thus eliminating the need to cut all the fiddly bits inbetween? If so what sort of power tool do i need for this?

The blocks are currently a not particularly nice orangey colour but when sanded return to a good pale oak colour. How can i maintain this when applying a finish without too much darkening or returning to the orange colour. Any suggestions on product?

If anyone can answer any of these queries i would be incredibly grateful! Then i can finally tackle the monster pile of blocks in the corner of my living room....

Jack

Sponsored Links
Hi Jackhobhouse

Any normal parquet adhesive should do, like lecol5500 or B92 (F.Ball Stycobond). Use a notched trowel!

We normally use a plunge saw to cut the straight line in the pattern before installing the border.

Orangy colour - most pine boards end up that way, Oak normally turns honey colour.

If you don't want either we recommend 'golden Oak' hardwaxoil

hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back