Parquet Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have read quite a bit about parquet on here, and am about to install it myself at home, I have decided to use lecol 5500 as the adhesive and osmo polyx oil as the finish.

My question is how do i set out to start? And i'm planning on putting a 2 block border around and main bit will be herringbone.

Sponsored Links
As long as the leveling compound has properly bonded with the concrete you're fine.
Start in the middle of the room and set out your first two rows of pattern (one left, on right) down wards and up wards. Make sure you have a suitable notched trowel. When this middle row has bonded to the floor - might take 10 - 12 hours, then fill in the rest of the pattern

Sponsored Links
Thanks!! Just one more question, if i put a 2 block border around the room how do i do it? do i do it first and cut the blocks as i reach the border or is there another way?

Trick of the trade: install your pattern as far as you can and don't mind the 'border'.
Then cut off overlapping blocks with a plunge saw so you have a straight line of your pattern and then install the 2 block border

Almost ready to start now, man do them blocks take some cleaning!! Another question for you, do you need to press in the blocks after laying? with a roller or something? Cheers.

Just been reading a bit on the forum, and you mention priming the sub floor? The floor screed i'l be using is sealofloor. Thanks again.

Almost ready to start now, man do them blocks take some cleaning!! Another question for you, do you need to press in the blocks after laying? with a roller or something? Cheers.
Use a notched trowel to apply the adhesive to the underfloor, press the blocks in the adhesive (and don't walk over them for the first few hours!). After appr. 8 - 12 hours the floor should be bonded to the underfloor and you can sand it without dislodging the blocks.

Thanks for your advice i have no finished laying the floor, i can't get time to sand and finish it for 2 weeks or so. I have gone for bona mega for the finish as it's mahogany (was concerned with the pachyness with oil). I have also split the room in 2, using oak for the dining side.

I was wondering if i could use a wax or something for the wearing course on top of the mega??

A couple of pics of how it looks now

renovating150.jpg

renovating152.jpg

Bona mega is a lacquer, adding wax ontop of it is not good. If you haven't bought it yet you could opt for euku oil 1 - works tremensoudly well on trpocial floors: only 1 coat needed for longterm protection and you apply hardwax or wax polish as wear and tear layer. Read:
Difference between HardWaxOil and Oil and Wax for more details. You can also use it on Oak (two coats of euku oil1 then apply wax or wax polish)

Thanks again for your help, but i have already bought it. What would you recommend for cleaning maintenance?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back