Parquet/Herringbone recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
~42m^2 kitchen/dining room, L-Shape, big sliding doors on one end. Late 30s house.

Going to have screeded subfloor with UFH. Want herringbone style top layer. Probably oak.

Option a) Engineered blocks glued down. Sounds more stable.
Option b) Reclaimed solid blocks. Might look better for period property.

I've fitted a tongue/groove floating before. DIY job, or better to get someone in? Reclaimed blocks seem good value cf. new - at these sizes possibly enough for the difference to cover paying someone to fit.

Opinions (including product suppliers) ?

Sponsored Links
The problem you'll have with the blocks, is that they'll need sanding afterwards, but as long as they've been kept dry, then there's shouldn't be any shrinkage, nor expansion. Engineered floors are very stable for kitchens, as you get heat and moisture from the cooker, and the tumble dryer etc.

If you've fitted a T&G floating floor, then you should be fine gluing an engineered floor down.

I have original parquet in herringbone and sanded my floor in the hall ( about 6 sq m)

It took ages and it looked ok, but very dusty

Recently I lifted the carpets in the through lounge and paid a guy to sand the whole lot (inc hall) and lacquer .

Before he came , I had to restore the end where a dwarf wall had been removed and a patio door put in. So I bought old blocks at £30 sq m and cleaned them off, repaired the floor and made good.

The work involved was a lot, as I had to develop cleaning techniques and didn't really know what I was doing so possibly over prepared.

I would get estimates, imho old blocks look better in a period environment but if you have contempary furniture then maybe engineered?

My floor (about the same area) was £1100 to sand, fill and 3 coats. Excellent service and almost zero dust with his pro machines

Sponsored Links

I can only recommend these from the same supplier - prime instead of character grade http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SALE-Not-...yle-Flooring-Prime-430x70x22-mm-/182414995360, I had my entire ground floor (100 sq m) laid with these last year. They are really good quality, far above what was on offer at local flooring suppliers. I did manage to find a fitter through the local suppliers who did a fantastic job. Whatever you do, they will take on 'character' as they are used.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks all - that's really useful information. The price differential here is staggering!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back