gaps in re-claimed parquet flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I have just put down some reclaimed pine parquet, and because the blocks are very old (about 80 years old I think) they are not all a uniform shape or size. The problem that I found when laying them was that in order to get a really close fit between the blocks it was almost impossible to keep the herringbone pattern in straight rows - when the rows are kept a uniform shape, the blocks then have gaps between them My question is, when the floor is sanded down will these gaps get a bit smaller, and how do you fill larger gaps? Also, are you supposed to lay them with these gaps so that the herringbone keeps a consistent shape, or are you supposed to fit them very close together with no gaps at all, but thereby losing the nice shape?? Hope someone can help me.....

Sponsored Links
They are about 1.5 inches thick, they have been put through a thicknesser to get the bitumen off and to make them all a uniform thickness, but the lengths vary very slightly between individual blocks.

Sponsored Links
Hi Maryh. (little forum tip, just hit the reply button next time ;)

1.5 inch (3.81 cm) is rather thick to try to fill them with saw-dust and wood-filler, but you can give it a try (well many tries I guess)

With herringbone, for the visual end effect, it is important you stick to the pattern, regardless of the gaps appaering I'm afraid. You can 'fiddle' a bit, but not much.

maryh said:
They are about 1.5 inches thick, they have been put through a thicknesser to get the bitumen off and to make them all a uniform thickness, but the lengths vary very slightly between individual blocks.

Ah, you already found the reply button, just ignore my remark ;)

Your main problem is the variation in lengths, I'm afraid. For a proper herringbone your blocks need to be of the same width and length otherwise you'll end up all over the place.

Thanks for that, I've unfortunately already finished one room!! (I do have more rooms to go though) but the lot that I've already put down, is there any way I can avoid taking them all up again, as I've already stuck them down? Is there a method of filling the gaps that won't look too bad? Thanks for your help.

The only thing I can think of is using a lot of woodfiller and sand-dust (second sanding with grit 80) to fill most of the (deep) wide gaps.

sorry to keep asking daft questions, but is any particular type of woodfiller better than another for this job? Thanks

Not sure if you still can get this in the U.K., (officially no longer allowed becaus of VOC regulations) but the 'old-fashion' woodfiller doesn't 'slink' as much as the 'modern (water-based) ones.
Try to find the lecol brand

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back