Parquet on stairs? Daft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so the downstairs is all parquet apart from the kitchen.
This includes the hall.
The staircase has white painted stringers, white balustrades, and dark hardwood newel posts/handrails.

Plan A had been to use cladding at a cost of maybe £800
Plan B was to strip the side paint off the treads, stain and varnish them, risers painted white.
Plan C might be to buy sufficient square metres of parquet to clean up and fit.

I bought some s/h to do repairs elsewhere and am familliar with the process.

I have access to a professional bandsaw and would hope to reduce the depth of the blocks by sawing off the base (covered with bitumen) . This would be quicker than clean up.
I could also remove the top surface -unsure about this, maybe rely on sanding.

I also have access to a biscuit jointer, so might remove the original T&G if a lot is broken.
Plus a belt sander.

I am thinking that in a similar way to the cladding, I would make glued slabs that can be fixed as one, not lay the blocks on by one. Including an overhang to cap the edges.

Is this a totally stupid idea? Alternatives to my method? Improvements on the concept?
I do have some left overs in the shed to I can trial the concept but then later buy a few square metres from the same source for a colour match. The stairs are roughly 9" x 31" each so maybe 3 treads per sqM plus one sqM as a spare?

My house is herringbone pattern but I wouldn't bother and possibly just use side by side or some kind of brickbond ?

Making the slabs, I was planning on just joining the edges, to only blocks.
I could use thin ply /mdf as a base?
I could also reduce block thickness by quite a bit?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother myself, I think it will take a huge effort to look good.

I've just restored the parquet in my place and will be installed carpet on the stairs.

Last edited:
I'm working on plan B at the moment, as it's just prep for any work.
The carpet was 70's swirly so it's done well

The look that I am after is like this IMG_1329.JPGIMG_1330.JPG

The idea of cladding might be OTT? If I can get my treads to clean up and take stain?

Parquet on stairs? Unless your stairs are concrete or stone, I'd say that's somewhat inadvisable unless you introduce an intermediate layer between the treads and the parquet. Your stairs will also need to be fairly rigid as vibration and movement can result in debonding. Parquet normally requires a solid, rigid sub-floor such as concrete or stone, although these days cement fibre board is sometimes used over timber sub floors. The parquet blocks are bedded onto a fairly thick adhesive and the do move (expand and contract) naturally with changes in temperature and atmospheric humidity. When this movement becomes excessive and/or the glue hardens the blocks can debond. And one thing you can do without is loose surfaces on a stair treads

The other issue I can see is one of how you deal with the tread nosings. You will need to protect the edges of the parquet with a solid nosing to prevent the parquet block from moving. Have you sourced these?

BTW I have put both engineered and laminate onto timber treads. That was available with purpose made matching nosings. I'm just not sure how long it will last, though

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back