Stair renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but here is goes. I’m renovating my stairs, planning on putting a runner up the middle.

I’ve pulled up the carpet and painstakingly stripped back the old lead paint but it seems to have discoloured the pine stairs. I’ve sanded for hours as I was planning on lacquering the treads with Junckers strong and painting the risers white but they look so patchy.

I don’t think I want to sand much more. Do you agree it will look bad with a lacquer? If so I plan on painting both the tread and risers white.

Bear in mind I only need to lacquer the first three inches or so on either side.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
You really need to get the timber to one shade - either by sanding or a chemical timber reviver.

Or, where the runner will be, sand back a bit of the step to the same appearance as the end section and then try your finish product and see what it looks like.

You really need to get the timber to one shade - either by sanding or a chemical timber reviver.

Or, where the runner will be, sand back a bit of the step to the same appearance as the end section and then try your finish product and see what it looks like.
Thanks for the reply. That’s basically what I thought - really needs to be one shade.

I hadn’t thought of using a chemical timber reviver. Is there a brand you recommend? I think I’ll give that a go and if it doesn’t work, will probably just paint everything white. Thanks

The only one I've used was some thing I picked up from lidl last year for the garden chairs. That worked great and I think most others will work in the same way with the same ingredients.

Osmo is a respected brand, and they sell a gel.

I've just noticed though, that these revivers seem to be recommend for outside use. It may be that's because that is where timber that needs reviving normally is, but I can't see a problem with using it internally as there are no strong odours.

Ask in the painting section, or seek out member "opps" who is a painter and should know more about this.

Sponsored Links
The only one I've used was some thing I picked up from lidl last year for the garden chairs. That worked great and I think most others will work in the same way with the same ingredients.

Osmo is a respected brand, and they sell a gel.

I've just noticed though, that these revivers seem to be recommend for outside use. It may be that's because that is where timber that needs reviving normally is, but I can't see a problem with using it internally as there are no strong odours.

Ask in the painting section, or seek out member "opps" who is a painter and should know more about this.
Thanks for all the advice. It’s much appreciated.

TBH I think what you need is actually either oxalic acid or a 2-pack wood bleach rather than a wood reviver

Oxallic acid comes in crystal form and is mixed with water (always add the crystals to warm water, not water to the crystals - wear eye protection). It is effective on iron stains, etc but may or not work on your paint pigment staining. Hard to say without trying, I'm afraid. Available from chemists, tropical fish places (used to clean and disinfect tanks, apparently), and Amazon, etc

Two part wood bleach, such as Rustins, Zinsser etc is the next thing I'd try. Again, handle with care.

Both of these products can turn your timbers a lighter colour, especially the bleach, so you may need to consider using a water stain to recolour the timber to the desired tone before lacquer finishing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back