Creaking Stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
we just moved into a 1970's property and it has really creaky stairs. I did some research and decided to try glue and screw the gaps between treads and risers.
The issue is that all the videos I have seen just show the underside of the stairs with treads and risers, whereas with my stairs, there is a long batten running through the middle of the underside of the stairs. It makes sense because this is where they have nailed in the plasterboard to cover the underside.
But the batten is nailed into the risers. When I pull gently on this batten it creaks badly, presumably because of the nails rubbing.

Can someone advise on what to do. I have attached a picture so it makes sense.

Sponsored Links
your stairs should be solid so the looseish plank squeaking only happens because off the tread problem
does it sqeak still when you go up the stairs ??

Hi, sorry but I didn't understand. Are you saying that if I fill the gaps around the treads then the plank doesn't matter or that the plank should be removed?
Just so there's no misunderstanding, the plank is not loose, it's solid. But I can see that the nails would rub against the riser, if there was pressure on the stairs.

Sponsored Links
ok the stairs should be fairly solid
i am more inclined to think you pulling on the timber baton isnt causing the creak other than the treads moving but off course could be wrong :D
my suggestion is if you think you have sorted the treads and it still creaks then mark the baton to the treads and remove then try again

Thanks. I will glue and screw tomorrow and then see if that helps . One more question if you don't mind. You can see that there are wedges in the picture that have been glued to the tread/riser join. In some videos I saw it says to remove these and replace with long blocks of wood and to glue/screw these to tread/riser join. Is this a good or bad idea?

if they are solid and glued to both surfaces no need as they are doing there job
if they are loose then take them off
but the most important bit to screw and glue is the back off the tread and riser
also worth checking the wedges in the string[sides]are tight

ok you ment the wedges i said blocks but advice still as above :LOL:
you can also add a pin or small screw into the wedges if you want belt and braces

Hahaha, yes I did. When you say the most important thing is to screw the back of the tread and riser how exactly do you do that? From what I've researched, I need to fill any gaps where they meet and then screw blocks of wood into both. Is this what you mean?

from the back off the stEditairs the corner where your plasterboard baton is is the riser[vertical] where you will see fixings[screws/nails] at the bottom 10mm into the back off the tread[horizontal bit] make sure this joint is tight glued and well screwed

Last edited:
Ah, I see them. That's great, I really appreciate your help!

no problem
in my experience the greatest cause off creaking is carpet fitters bolstering carpets into this gap causing the loss off support to the back off the tread

That makes a lot of sense. Let me see what I can do. I can see some gaps there so some glue and tightening of the screws should make a difference.

Thanks, I bought the second one already. But I might just exchange it for the first one because the gaps aren't big and if the second one requires more care might be easier to use the first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back