Creaking Stairs

your only gaps will close up with screws :D
you can use the foaming for gaps but unlike the the other one spills wont easily clean as its viscosity is like syrup so if you are going to use it selotape the gap at the back underneath so when you pour in a 1mm bead in front on top [will foam to three]it stays in place till you screw the riser tight
do not try and remove glue until dry unless on carpet or clothes
the foaming will go out off use quicker skinning up in the bottle after about six months the other one will last up to a year and dead easy to clean with lots off water

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think I'll just change for the D4. Im not very good with messy stuff :) I was just taking another look and I tried to hold the riser right where the baton is nailed into it and then I tried moving the baton and it still creaks at the baton so im not sure if the screwing will solve everything. If it doesn't, should I remove sections of the baton or the whole thing. If I remove it all, im not clear on how I'll secure the plasterboard back on.

creaking only happens when when surfaces rub and move against each other
your baton underneath iff well screwed on should never creak as the stairs would have to be like a trampoline to get enough movement underneath to get a 1mm plus movement "rub " underneath between surfaces
dependant on what the baton is screwed to you may have to remove it if it holds any gaps open
thinking along the lines off extra screws added after the damage has happened causing the the screws to go partly into the gap holding it open when you glue and try to screw closed with with a screw in the gap

Last edited:
Understood, but the baton is nailed ono diagonally to the risers and I think there is some give there. But like you said, if the stairs are strong then the baton shouldn't come into it. I'll try everything you said and hopefully it will get resolved. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you will be fine :D
if you aim for 100% and get 90% you wont realize the difference as its within tolerances
i you aim for 85% and reach 75% things may creak and groan but still be fine as things are struggling but wont fail:LOL:
get it AS close to 95 and at least 80% and you will be more than perfect:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back