Replacing Stair Treads - tips / advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

100 year old house - I've a small set of stairs going to my kitchen with 6 treads which are very worn down the middle - I've changed carpet on the rest of the stairs and need to do these.

With them being worn the carpet doesn't sit right on them, they curve in middle slightly (if that makes sence) they are so worn.

I've (finally!) found a place online which sells them. 6 Pine bullnose treads and risers - £90 with delivery (compared to £200 locally!?) this is an o.k price it seems?

Anything I need to watch out for when I change these? I have access to the back in the basement - 65% - 70% humidity here, would I need to coat them with anything?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
oops I've just realised there is a separate forum for stairs I'll post there

You realise that the original treads are housed into the strings.....are you intending to break the old ones out, or plant on top?
John :)

No take the old ones out, they squeek and creak too - replace like for like

Sponsored Links
if there's plenty of access it should be possible enough.....you should find the old treads wedged in place and these should be retained.
Obviously the thickness of new to old must be the same, and regarding the length, be very accurate with the cutting as you don't want to spread the stringers at all.
I guess minimum hammering and disturbance is called for here!
John :)

Well having looked again, I can see they are housed in the stringers, with triangular wedges against the tread an risers.

I can't see an issue with that, as I have plenty of space at the back were they to come out.

The problem is, that the treads are around 32mm thick. The ones I was about to order are 21mm !

hmmmm any ideas? I'm thinking I should just could fix the creaks and put the new treads on top as its being carpetted

what flooring do you have at the bottom and top??
the trouble with topping is the trip hazard as the top step will be 21mm higher than the surrounding area
and all steps should be identical but the bottom one will be 21mm higher

i completed this exact job last year on a full star 2 kits [left and right]and was lucky they had a thick something like 16-18mm wood floor that worked great as the threshold strips i made for the top only needed to accommodate a few mm difference

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back