part L and sash windows

njk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings all.

I have a bit of a problem with my local council. I have a terraced house on 4 floors that I am converting into 2 flats. The local building inspector has demanded that I have to change all the 21 sash windows (original victorian in good condition) to new double glazed ones. Since the windows were in good conditions I did not allow for this massive extra cost. The reason for this, the inspector told me, is due to part L and the conservation of energy.

Is there any way out of this? If I live in a conservation area I am not allowed to change them and if I don't live in a consevation area I have to.
Doesn't make sense.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Do a DER/TER calculation on the whole flat to demonstrate an overall acceptable emission rate figure. You may need to compensate elsewhere with better insulation or energy saving installations

I think that the worst U value you can have for windows is 3.30 when using a SAP rating on a new build, and single glazing is around 5.0. I don't know if this applies to a conversion but it might be the same.

Sponsored Links
I have the same problem, I live in Hastings and the council told me I have to replace the sash windows because im converting into 2 flats, and even if I want to convert the windows by fitting double glasing with new beads with weather seals etc wich makes them just as good as ugly plastic windows, having had a talk with the building inspector
they have now told me I might be allowed to do this if I can prove how much they insulate, how can I prove that?

Just wanted to comment on the cost, it is not much cheaper to convert them to double glasing than replacing them with new ugly ones.

I think that the worst U value you can have for windows is 3.30 when using a SAP rating on a new build, and single glazing is around 5.0. I don't know if this applies to a conversion but it might be the same.

Needs to be 2W/m2.K to prove reasonable provision for a 'material change of use' though as suggested, you maybe able to barter with your BCO to improve the building in other (cheaper) areas!

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/1115314231799.html[/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back