Part P Basics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a course of my business I am used to wading oceans of tedious documentation and sites however I have so far failed to find a nice tidy explanation of what part P means IN ESSENCE for the serious diyer.

I did search the forum but the results were too extensive and I have DIY to do!

basically what can/cannot be done from January and are there courses that can be taken to give back the freedom I currently have! (specific suggestions would be great on this)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
For the DIY-er it is really very simple. Part P, as I'm sure you know, refers to a new section of the Building Regulations, which is a statutory instrument. This section deals with electrical work and principally makes all but the most basic of jobs notifiable to Building Control. So, after January, if you want to modify your electrical installation you will (in law) have to inform your local building control department of the work and prove that it has been carried out to BS7671. In practice this will mean paying for a suitably qualified person to certify the work

Of course, most people will remain unaware of Part P for many years to come and will simply ignore it in much the same way as the rest of the bulding regulations are routinely ignored. It's only if and when the government's much-vaunted seller's pack comes into being that such regulations may be enforced and even then it will only be when selling on your property.

woodie said:
are there courses that can be taken to give back the freedom I currently have! (specific suggestions would be great on this)
C&G 2381 & 2391.

Pretend to NICEIC or whoever that you are a self employed kitchen fitter, stump up the dosh and your father gets a new brother called Robert.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your responses...exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully this will help others as well. :D

Well, I mean why would I have to pretend to be a kitchen fitter (or anything else) in order to study C&G courses? Sorry, lost the plot somewhere! :(

Anybody can do the courses - AFAICT 2381 is a doddle, 2391 harder, and the courses vary in quality a great deal, so that if you're a novice you may find it impossible to pass, whereas with a different course you might find it easier.

NICEIC run a scheme whereby people whose trade is something else, but need to do electrical work as part of it, e.g. kitchen fitters, plumbers, can register with them - you need the qualifications, you may need examples of work (find some mates who are putting in kitchens and do the electrics for them), insurance and away you go.

Ah, I get the picture. I'll have a look at their stuff - thanks Ban. No intention of earning a living this way, but I'd enjoy doing the courses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back