Part P ..Re Scotland

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wasn't aware until this morning that Part P does not apply to Scotland so i was wondering if anyone knows if there was anything similar brought in at that time or since or are things same as they were prior to Part P
( E+W).
I have had a search here and on the www.scotland.gov.uk website but cannot see anything specific.
thx,
Stuart

Sponsored Links
there's stuff on my website

http://www.baldelectrician.com/insurance/insurance.htm

feel free to browse, the building warrant pdf is mainly accurate but there are slight changes to be made (time constraints)

Stewart

http://www.baldelectrician.com

hope the info is relevant.

The new building regs (Building Scotland act 2003) are more relevant and require (at a minimum) BS7671 certification, some councils are now asking for more.

baldelectrician said:
there's stuff on my website

http://www.baldelectrician.com/insurance/insurance.htm

feel free to browse, the building warrant pdf is mainly accurate but there are slight changes to be made (time constraints)

Stewart

http://www.baldelectrician.com

hope the info is relevant.

The new building regs (Building Scotland act 2003) are more relevant and require (at a minimum) BS7671 certification, some councils are now asking for more.

Thx for that ...
Still havent seen anything that requires work done by householders ( in Scotland) to conform to anything similar to Part P ,although obviously best practise is best achieved . . As for the harmonised colours this was ,of course,available for sale well in advance of the introduction of it's required use and if you look hard enough the "old" colour cable is still available .

Sponsored Links
In esscence, you should be OK to do most things- except in a flat.

If you stay in a flat you need a building warrant for most works (exceptions are showers, stairlifts and fans). You need a building warrant for SELV installations (extra low voltage) installations that connect to the mains directly. (for example transformers).
You don't need a warrant for a battery doorbell, for example but you do if it is connected to the mains via a tranny.

The regs are more sensable than in England and Wales- the main difference is that you require to notify far less works and you require a warrant BEFORE you carry out the works. ( I have a customer who had to wait 5 weeks before a warrant is granted to allow me to rewire his flat)

In general the more different the job - changing use of a space [loft conversion, attic conversion, installing a new loo, converting a garage to use as a room etc] the need for a warrant. In England & Wales a new socket in a kitchen requires Part P , in Scotland it doesn't. If you knock a wall down to make your kitchen bigger you may need a building warrant.

Hope this clarifies things.

Please note- if you do works that require a warrant in Scotland and you don't do it, the works may hold up / stop your house sale when you decide to sell. It can take upto 14 weeks for a warrant to be granted. The council take a dim view of peope ignoring the system.
The homebuyers report will probably pick up things like this.

edited to correct dodgy word (flat instead of kitchen)

baldelectrician said:
In England & Wales a new socket in a flat requires Part P...

Dunno where you get that from Baldie. Although Part P requires that all electrical installations are carried out to standards at least equivalent to BS 7671, there is no requirement to notify additional sockets on existing circuits (apart from in special locations). There is no distinction made between houses and flats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back