"Part P"??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me what exactly is "part P" :rolleyes: . I know it's to do with electrics having to comply with the building regs, and i have heard that it will come into effect as from January along with the new harmonized cable colours. But how will it effect electrical installers both approved and DIYers? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Much written about this. Do a search and that will give you a starting point for stuff to get your teeth into.

You should have been here for the last 18 months....

Unfortunately, because of the manky search engine here, you can't search for Part P, but you can try terms like ODPM, competent, qualifications, qualified , Building Control etc.

The Screwfix forum can be searched for Part P.

dangerousdave said:
i have heard that it will come into effect as from January along with the new harmonized cable colours.
They're already here...

But how will it effect electrical installers both approved and DIYers? :rolleyes:
Depends on your definition of "approved"

This is something we've discussed at length over the last few months on another forum, as "ryanj" will no doubt recall.

Basically, the new Part P of the Building Regs. will mean that domestic installations in England & Wales will be required to meet a certain minimum standard for the first time. (Although IEE Wiring Regs. have been widely accepted as the norm until now, there has been no legal obligation to follow them.)

Compliance with the new regs. is supposedly going to be by one of two methods:

1. By the person installing the system becoming a registered installer and self-certifying his own work,

-- OR --

2. By giving notice of the intended works to the local council, paying them a fee, and having them come and inspect it.

Certain minor works are exempt from the requirements.

Here's a link which covers the basics:

http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/BR-PartP-dwellings.cfm

As a newcomer to this forum, I'm not sure what consensus of opinion has been reached here, but in our group elsewhere we've already pretty much come to the conclusion that the rules are badly thought-out, will be poorly implemented, and except for new builds and major renovations where an inspector is involved anyway, will be virtually unenforcable.

The more cynical of us see it as yet another one of this government's attempts to address some "problem" by introducing yet more bureaucracy and collecting more money.

By the way, I wrote my local council to ask what arrangements they have put in place for part P, how they would arrange inspections, and what the fees would be. With little over a month to go, I'm still waiting for a reply.

P.S. The following is a link to the full Approved Part P document from the website of the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (PDF is about 1.4MB) :

Approved Document Part P

Sponsored Links
Indeed, I remember the lengthy discussions we've had over the issues.

Although, it's something I am currently exempt from as I live in Scotland.

Paul, the software works a little bit different over here, the URL simply needs to be enclosed in the brackets. http://www.domain.tld/

Paul_C said:
This is something we've discussed at length over the last few months on another forum, as "ryanj" will no doubt recall.
What... You mean there is intelligent life outside DIYnot???

Sacré Bleu!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back