part p, can i .....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please can i ask.
as a gas fitter of many many years now i need part p,thats not a problem.
the company i work for have arranged a course and assesment for december.
it will be part p. level b & c.
my question 1. is with the above levels can i exchange an old style rewireable fuse consumer unit with modern rcd and mcb consumer unit.
question 2.can i install a fused spur off a ring main.
question 3.can i issue minor works certificate for other gas fitters in same company after they have exchanged a pump,motorised valves,programmers..etc.
question 4.can i install a new ring main.
question 5.can i install a new lighting circuit.
question 6.part p.level A.what does include.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
kier said:
please can i ask.
as a gas fitter of many many years now i need part p,thats not a problem.
the company i work for have arranged a course and assesment for december.
it will be part p. level b & c.
These "A, B, C" levels are not part of the law - their scope is not defined - they are an invention of the competency scheme organisers.

The law does recognise two classes of people able to self-certify, and has the concept of two different levels of scope (not three):

* Installation of fixed low or extra-low voltage electrical installations.

* Installation of fixed low or extra-low voltage electrical installations as a necessary adjunct to or arising out of other work being carried out by the registered person.

but does not define what the limits of "as a necessary adjunct to or arising out of other work " are. This doesn't really make any sense - clearly the intention is to recognise that ancillary work is less complex than, say, a complete rewire, but if you were a builder gutting and restoring a property, a complete rewire could be a necessary adjunct to you knocking down walls and ripping out floors and ceilings

The following would be my guesses - you should check with your scheme organiser (Corgi?) to see what they say.

1. No
  2. Yes
  3. No
  4. No
  5. No
  6. Any work on electrical installations that are intended to operate at low or extra-low voltage and are -

(a) in a dwelling;

(b) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts;

(c) in a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling; or

(d) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling.

cheers ban.please dont tell any one that i am fitting a back boiler today,hardly a condensing boiler.
but who cares.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back