Part P Certification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electrcician who is a NICEIC domestic installer has put a new ring mains for my kitchen oven.

However he has suggested that I upgrade my consumer unit in order to be able to connect the earth conductor.

He has given me an NICEIC certificate, but it is marked as being not entirely successful, because I still need to upgrade my fuse box.

I plan to get someone else upgrade my fusebox in the coming 2-3 weeks.

Do I need another certificate when I get the fuse box upgraded ?
Am I supposed to receive a certificate for Building Regulations also ?
Who needs to apply for buildings regulations certificate ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
sunsilk10 said:
M
However he has suggested that I upgrade my consumer unit in order to be able to connect the earth conductor.hecould have used a henly block next to CU as a main earth terminal and connect there

Do I need another certificate when I get the fuse box upgraded ?yes
Am I supposed to receive a certificate for Building Regulations also ?yes
Who needs to apply for buildings regulations certificate ?if he's partP registered, he will deal with the building regs certs

Thanks.

I didn't understand why he needs a new CU to do the earth connections. Could it be there is a 16mm earth cable that won't fit in the old one? I'm just looking at an old Wylex, looks like it would be a tight squeeze, though the existing brass block is removable (screwed in).

I wonder how it has been done, then - undersized earth, perhaps? I agree about using an external MET (I like a 8-way, doesn't need to be a Henley).

Surely he doesn't mean the earth is not connected?

Anyway, if the old one is old and undersized, there's a lot to be said for a nice new one. Get a split-load one with room for a dozen circuits, even if you aren't using them all - it just means you pay very little extra for a larger plastc box, and gives you room for later electric showers, double ovens, hot-tubs, garage workbench, fire alarms, etc.

Yes, the new 16 mm earth conductor does not fit in my old CU.
Hence the new earth conductor is not yet connected until I get an ew CU.

What happens to the NICEIC certification that I have now. Does it need to be updated when I get a new CU ?
Who can apply for building regs certificate? My previous electrician or the one who is going to do my CU ?

Sponsored Links
You need to get the CU installed by an electrician who is registered and approved to issue the installation certificate, this means he does not need to notify LABC in advance. It is also probably better than having the work done by someone less qualified.

If you used someone who was not approved, you would need Building Regs application, plans, inspection and test, and pay for that as well. The fully qualified person can do the installation, test and certification himself. He will test and report on all the circuits which he connects into the new CU, so it is a significant job.

When you get people in to quote, ask them to comment on the existing earthing arrangements, they may be adequate but it is not clear from your posting. If it needs fixing this could presumably be done prior to scheduling the new CU.

Installing an external Earth terminal will not solve the problem. The supply will still require a 16mm² main bond for the consumer unit, and if this does not fit in the terminal bar then an alternative solution is required.

There are TWO solutions. Drill a hole in the side of the unit and bolt a Earth connection to the case of the enclosure using a brass nut and bolt, but this is only tennable if the case is metal..if you have a plastic or other non-conductive casing then replacement is the only possible solution.

You should also remember that if the consumer unit cannot accept a 16mm² conductor, then it is likely it is not rated for a 100A (80kvA) service and thus should be changed anyway.

Has he installed and energized your new ring circuit?

Firstly, if the main earth is inadequate he should not have energized a new circuit without satisfying earthing and bonding requirements. If im reading it right that is.

it might be possiblew to split the bared 16.0 installation earthing conductor into two adajacent earth holes (3 & 4 strands)

If both electricians are registered with a scheme then you should receive a EIC from each of the two plus a notification from each of their scheme providers (NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA, BSI, or part p) as two different sets of jobs - this might be 30 days after the work was completed

Big_Spark said:
100A (80kvA)

100A... 230V... 23kW... 80kVA... where am I going wrong?

james 29 said:
Firstly, if the main earth is inadequate he should not have energized a new circuit without satisfying earthing and bonding requirements. If im reading it right that is.
There's a big difference between "inadequate" and "non-compliant"...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back