Part P, completion certificates, moving meters etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK then, sort this out for me will you?

I'm totally remodelling an existing loft room (new stud walls, velux roof lights etc) and bathroom (new everything, back to bare stone all round)
Electrical implications are; need to move meter, install new shower and effectively a total rewire to weed out bodges dating back to '60's.

I have checked the need for planning permission (for the veluxes) and have had open house for building regs people to pick what they want to be involved with. I have paid extra £100 to building regs people as I (not a competent person in the meaning of the act) will do the work.

The most pressing of my questions are;

1.Will the BR people issue a certificate of completion on the electrics (assuming satisfactory) or will I have to get a 'lecky to do this. If the latter how much will that cost approx and why am I paying the extra £100 for the electrical bit?

2. I have obtained a quote for UU to move the meter (£550 + vat even though they don't know whether the incomings must be cut or extended etc). I take it that they will need the COC before connecting, in which case do I just choose where I want my CU and stick it there provided it is a sensible spot from UU's point of view?

3. Is it good, bad or irrelevant practise to put a separate shower unit (63A 30mA RCD + 50A SP MCB).
I would have thought it would relieve some of the duty of the main CU but I await more informed opinion.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mike G

Sponsored Links
Sorry but I can't " sort it out" for you, but I will try & give a little advice. If you are not competant to do the work, then you will need to get someone in who is.They will look at all your requirements & be best placed to advise on your options.

harveysmith said:
2. I have obtained a quote for UU to move the meter (£550 + vat even though they don't know whether the incomings must be cut or extended etc). I take it that they will need the COC before connecting, in which case do I just choose where I want my CU and stick it there provided it is a sensible spot from UU's point of view?

Does this mean an engineer has been out or did you just get that quote over the phone?

If it was over the phone would of thought an engineer would need to visit to asses where it can be moved too, and obviously thats where you install your new CU.

P.S When you say meter I'm assuming you mean the cutout as well

Sponsored Links
The £100 was the building regs notification fee. You have notified the Building Control Officer so it is now the LABC's responsibility to ensure that the electrical work is inspected during construction and also then tested. The costs involved for the inspection and testing is supposed to be born by the LABC (see part P building regs chapter 1.26). They should test themselves or subcontract it to a competent person. I followed this route myself with Rochdale council. They did try to charge me for electrical testing £350 but then backed down and said they's made a mistake and shouldn't have charged me for that. Steve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back