Part P in a dual-use/open plan room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen and living room are open plan. Part P reckons that me doing electrics in a kitchen is automatically more dangerous than if it were my living room.

Where does Part P stand on a room that is mainly living room, with a kitchen tacked on the side?

I have taken it to mean that anything within the vertical confines of the kitchen area (i.e. anything above the worktop) is kitchen, all else is living room. Is this right?

Sponsored Links
The area within 3 metres of the sink springs to mind for this kitchen/diner type set up as being the area considered kitchen

From the actual law:

4. For the purposes of this Schedule -

"kitchen" means a room or part of a room which contains a sink and food preparation facilities;

And that's it.

Anybody else, be it the ODPM, the DSA, LABC Services, HSE, UTCAA can issue as many guidelines as they like, but they are just interpretations and carry no more legal weight than whatever reasonable interpretation you wish to make.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but as usual this wording has no proper legal interpretation.

I, acting as a solicitor can tell him that Part P applies to "the part of the room used as a kitchen".

I, acting as a Solicitor can also tell him that Part P applies to "the whole room."

Either interpretation is both correct and incorrect!

Now what does the NICEIC say?

Tony Glazier

ban-all-sheds said:
carry no more legal weight than whatever reasonable interpretation you wish to make.

more importantly what the magistrate determines is reasonable.. which is likely to follow the guidelines provided by the aforementioned bodies

Mr Winston said:
more importantly what the magistrate determines is reasonable.. which is likely to follow the guidelines provided by the aforementioned bodies

Why should the magistrate follow the guidelines of the NIC if the the document has been issued by the ODPM?

If JP only has the Part P document as guidance, then he can only make an interpretation based on that document, the same as the magistrate.

I would have thought that a Magistrate's Clerk ( who is a fully trained solicitor ) might seek guidance on the industry interpretation before coming to a decision.

Although BAS does not seem to belong to the NICEIC, I would have thought they might be asked as the major electrical work certification body. They also might ask the IEE who normally writes these documents.

Tony Glazier

OK - first, please note I did say "reasonable" interpretation.

Secondly:

Agile said:
Although BAS does not seem to belong to the NICEIC, I would have thought they might be asked as the major electrical work certification body.

No I'm not - but you do seem to be, and what is more you seem to have swallowed all the b*ll*cks that they spew out with not one pause for critical thought. You seem absolutely in awe of this group, and their knowledge, power, influence and abilities, when in reality they are a bunch of lying, cheating charlatans.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back