Part P Kitchen cert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a gas hob igniter connected up by a NICEIC registered contractor, about 10 days ago. All ok. But I have not received the installation cert yet, its been a week since I last asked him, he said he will do it and send it to me. How long is normal to wait for the certificates?

Sponsored Links
Just had a gas hob igniter connected up by a NICEIC registered contractor, about 10 days ago. All ok. But I have not received the installation cert yet, its been a week since I last asked him, he said he will do it and send it to me. How long is normal to wait for the certificates?

This sounds like it would normally be a minor electrical works certificate and not notifiable. Technically it should have been issued before he left. Sometimes electricians like to make a rough copy then fill it out neatly at home or even enter into an electronic form. However, in either case it is VERY delayed.

PS, I am assuming he did not install a new (fixed wiring) circuit for it?
If in the unlikely event he did then that would be notifiable. You should have received an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) on completion and a building control document (in the post) within 4-5 weeks.

He did say he would do it electronically, he did all the testing and noted down the figures, i will chase him again tomorrow. Otherwise should i complain to the NICEIC?

It was just changing the cooker connection point (behind the oven) to a double socket and putting a plug on the electric single oven (2.98 Kw) and the gas hob igniter.

Sponsored Links
It was just changing the cooker connection point (behind the oven) to a double socket and putting a plug on the electric single oven (2.98 Kw) and the gas hob igniter.

Yea this is more or less a minor electrical works certificate. I think you should simply call him and demand the certificate ASAP. I am quite sure he will comply.

2.98kw is pushing the boundaries of a 13 amp plug (top :evil: ).

What did the manufacturers instructions say you should do?

Certs and invoice now received

thanks to all the replies, the cooker is under 13amps so plug should be ok

... Technically it should have been issued before he left. ....

Where do building regs or BS7671 give that timescale for the documents to be produced?

I would guess it is listed in the common sense section. Let's look at a scenario, you design, erect, test and inspect a complete rewire. You do not immediately issue a BS7671 EIC (which is your proof that you have complied with BS7671) The house burns down the next day (for whatever reason) The property owner is questioned by the fire brigade as to possible causes and the property owner responds by saying "well we've just had the place rewired" and "I don't have a certificate"

You may or may not get away with it, I have no idea but personally I do not want to test the law in this regard.

... Technically it should have been issued before he left. ....

Where do building regs or BS7671 give that timescale for the documents to be produced?

I would guess it is listed in the common sense section. Let's look at a scenario, you design, erect, test and inspect a complete rewire. You do not immediately issue a BS7671 EIC (which is your proof that you have complied with BS7671) The house burns down the next day (for whatever reason) The property owner is questioned by the fire brigade as to possible causes and the property owner responds by saying "well we've just had the place rewired" and "I don't have a certificate"

So what? What would happen if the house burnt down during during your works. You still won't have a certificate.

You may or may not get away with it, I have no idea but personally I do not want to test the law in this regard.

If you don't know then don't say "technically blah blah". I lot of people will issue the certifcates a few days after completing the testing. There is no "law" against it!

If you don't know then don't say "technically blah blah". I lot of people will issue the certifcates a few days after completing the testing. There is no "law" against it!

I have no idea if there is "no law against it" What I do know is it is common sense to issue it ASAP after the work is complete since it is a declaration of compliance with BS7671.

Please do not tell me what to say. You will notice that my suggestion helped the OP. What has your post achieved?

PS,
You said blah blah not me, :mrgreen:

issue the certifcates a few days after completing the testing. There is no "law" against it!

Oh right, is 10 days a few days?

Well you get 25 days to notify, so 25 days to send a cert could be reasonable? Especially if an invoice has not been submitted.

So what? What would happen if the house burnt down during during your works. You still won't have a certificate.

Good luck with the investigation. Will you say "So what" in court?

No; the point I was making having a cert in the hypothetical circumstances you made up is not going to make any real difference to any legal proceedings.

I lot of people will

Steal cars but that does not make it right either.

Ah but stealing cars is a crime, waiting a few days to issue a cert is not a crime.

Well you get 25 days to notify, so 25 days to send a cert could be reasonable? Especially if an invoice has not been submitted.

In your opinion.

As a matter of interest, in that 25 days what will you use as evidence that your work complied with BS7671 if you are required to so for any reason?

No; the point I was making having a cert in the hypothetical circumstances you made up is not going to make any real difference to any legal proceedings.

Thanks for the education by the way where did you gain your law degree?

Ah but stealing cars is a crime, waiting a few days to issue a cert is not a crime.

In your opinion. I'll ask again is 10 days a "few days" ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back