Part P - More about Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Regarding Part P:

Can I have a decisive answer, from anyone who has the facts, about exactly what I can do myself and what an electrician will have to do.

Also, can anyone tell me exactly how this law will be enforced.
e.g if i do do the work myself, how will they find out - and, if it is true that I have to have a certificate to prove who did it, what if I 'accidentally lost it'

I mean, after all, although it is illegal to do gas work, if i did do some, it would never be found out (unless there was a bang), and would be completely unsuspicious.

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
Honestly........I haven't a clue.....as until its all sorted out and a final written document is available any advice given couldn't be taken seriously.........

Come on, for gods sake.

Someone must know.

Must be all of 53 minutes since your first post. Not very demanding are you? and so polite too! What do you do for a job? Debt collector for a loan shark?

Sponsored Links
dozyhalfwit said:
..What do you do for a job? Debt collector for a loan shark?

Well, Sterose started out installing showers at the age of 14, since when he's diversified into telling electricians to **** off, because, in his own words "I'm perfectly competent, and i would argue that i am just if not more competent than electricians. They may know the theory, but I actually know how to do safe electrical work in practice." Like repairing damaged cables with junction boxes and burying the JB in plaster.

I think in some ways he's like me - often types faster than his good sense regulator can cope with.

I like to see a sense of humour, ban-all-sheds.

I think the problem with my posts is that it is hard to convey humour with words.

By the way, I have done a bit of sharking.

And whats wrong with burying JBs in plaster?

Yes, but its not always convenient to dig a cable out of a wall just to satisfy regs.

It's easier, much easier, to just put a JB into the wall and concrete over it.
It must be watertight (or perhaps, plastertight) though, otherwise the plaster will slip into the JB.

and that from the man who knows more about electrics than an electricians, so compitant in fact that, it is good practice to tell electricians to **** off, he plumbed in a shower at 14, that is, a rope connected to a tree with a watering can on the end, with a shower attachment.
marvalous!

AR

"a rope connected to a tree with a watering can on the end, with a shower attachment"
Youre probably right...

However, I'm getting the impression that I have upset someone...

Are you a pro spark, supersparks?

Oh yeah, and by the way, in ten years since that first shower, I have never had an electrical or plumbing accident, so I think I can say with some arrogance, sorry, confidence, that I am a competent DIYer.

I have found almost every pro I have come across the be helpful and reasonable, i'm just ****ed off with the ones that arent.

sterose said:
a rope connected to a tree with a watering can on the end, with a shower attachment"
Youre probably right...

However, I'm getting the impression that I have upset someone...

Are you a pro spark, supersparks?

No, doing C&G but work with my brother all the time and he is and i know its humor, thats what mine was but like you have said before, its hard to get across the web.... :confused:
one 'compitant diyer' the other day on a house we re wired, got the impression from a diy book somehow that the neutral should be the switched one, phoned my brother, brother explaned. anyway 2 days later his wife phoned and asked if we could come and get the power back on because 'her husband had made some minor ajustments'.......... i wouldent have called them minor, cut cables here there and also ones that were blatently new, and not the old VIR that was in before...but cut them anyway, in the end there were so many cuts that the lighting circuit had to be rewired...again...
and just to make it worse he was one of the type who stands behind you telling you your doing it wrong....

AR

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back