PART P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been browsing the forum for quite awhile and just decided to join up to see if anyone can clarify this for me, I know there have been alot of posts on here about part p, what is the current situation ? I'm doing some work on an extension and want to do the electrics myself, but have today been told by building control that i can't, because electricians caannot sign of someone else's work, (my interpretation is that i can do the work as long as it is tested to part p regs) The building control officer said specifically that niceic members are being told not to test other people's work, are local authorities interperating things differently in different area's of the country

Sponsored Links
Thanks adam for your prompt reply i have read some of the information before, but to some things up can i do this work or not, are building control telling me incorrectly, (confused)

Adam_151 said:
Read this for a start: //wiki.diynot.com/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

and come back with any more questions that are unasnwered/raised by that, is probably the easiest way, rather than me trying to type it out again :)
Adam that was a fascinating link that you put up & as a 5 year retired spark(still only 56 though) there were things I was not aware of. For the number of jobs I occasionally do, I did not feel it was worthwhile registering for part p but have had no problems with them being signed off by my friend who is registered. So perhaps andyandy 2 should take a copy of the article to his local BC Office as different councils are obviously varied in their approach to part p

Sponsored Links
What work?
Firstly you need to find out if the work is notifiable or not - see the wiki.
If the work isn't notifiable then carry on as normal, please note though that although non-notifiable the work still must be safe i.e. comply with P1.
If the work is notifiable then you can either:
1) employ a person who is a member of a competent person scheme to do the work who will notify LABC of the work done,
OR
2) Notify your LABC that you wish to carry out the work yourself, pay their fee before you start and let them oversee compliance with building regs.

Sparky 123, yes the work will be notifiable, basically three new circuits, ring main, lighting circuit and outside floodlights, the building control guy did not give that option he basically said we would have to get a registered electrician to do the work, as no one would be able to test and certify my work, seems like they don't want to get involved.

Thanks for that information Spark 123, so it looks like the building control department are the ones not complying with the rules ;) (but do i want to upset him when he has to sign of all the other work ! )

That is entirely your shout, you could just innocently show him the document and see what he says.

I've contacted the building control department, and after pointing out that diy electrics are permitted as long as notified, inspected and tested by building control, the reply from the building control officer was "well we can't do it we're not electricians" He has now agreeded to accept a periodic inspection report with a first fix inspection. It seems like they are not prepared for diy electrics and are trying totell everyone they have to use a part p approved electrician for the whole job.

Sounds tipical of the part P farce!

Guess how many people were imployed at are building control for the first 7 months to handle the part p mess..............

NONE!

B.A.N.E.S and Part P ...

[url=http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/BathNES/environmentandplanning/buildingcontrol/Latest+News.htm]Bath & NE Somerset Council[/url] said:
The two routes to compliance are detailed below: -

1. Part P Self Certification Scheme (Competent Persons Scheme) - if the electrical work is carried out by an electrician who is a member of one of these schemes then a building regulation application will not be required for the electrical work. The electrician will certify that their work complies with the building regulations and issue the owner with a Building Regulations self certification certificate. The Competent Persons scheme will then notify the Local Authority to enable them to retain records of all such work.

2. Building regulation application - if this route is chosen there are two options:-

(a). A qualified, registered electrician carries out or inspects the work. They can issue a design, installation and test certificate under BS7671. Building Control will accept the certificate as evidence that the work complies with Part P. Additional inspections and tests by Building Control may be carried out.

(b). Where the work is carried out by an unregistered electrician or is a DIY installation, Building Control will need to inspect and test the work to ensure it complies with Part P. Alternatively the applicant can have the work inspected and tested by a registered electrician/inspector as in (a) above. They will then be able to issue a Periodic Inspection Report under BS 7671...

-

This situation, with conflciting views on what can and cannot be done, is a complete farce.

I doubt whether we any longer, as a nation, have the wherewithal to mount any coherent campaign anymore be it internal , external , military, schooling or anything else. It seems as if we have completely lost the plot.

Do you know what I think the problem is? Well, I`ll tell you any way. The people that run this country have not a clue about the real nitty gritty as do engineers etc. We have bred a succession of mealy mouthed sycophants that think they get avoid answers to direct questions and espouse some meaningless crap. It is time for a benevolent dictator to grasp the running of this place by the horns.

A few rules.
Enforce the rules.
Punish those that do not.

Let's have a debate?

Too late, Thripster, the wheels are already in motion... ;)

The United Dingdom will be run in much the way you propose.

Nah, make thousands of rules... Make everyone into a rulebreaker then target the softest options, thus producing league tables and stats galore to prove the opposite to that which is blindingly obvious...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links