Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a query for the forum

I believe that minor DIY electrical work is not againgst any law (true/false).

Major electrical works must be undertaken by a part P registered "competent person" (true/ False).

All major works if undertaken by a "incompetent" person is notifiable to building control and will be inspected by a building control officer (competent person )(true/ false)

Only a building control officer is allowed to sign of other persons work (true/false)

I have been given the correct size of SWA armoured cable to go from main building to outbuilding, electrician ("competent person") does not have skills or machinery to install a cable in a 600mm trench, I plan to install this myself and leave the ends as required...one in house...one in outbuildings...allowing plenty of slack for "competent person" to come and do his stuff...I dont need building regs to carry out the cable laying (true/false)

Sponsored Links

True, provided it is done competently.

Major electrical works must be undertaken by a part P registered "competent person" (true/ False).
False.

All major works if undertaken by a "incompetent" person is notifiable to building control
True.

and will be inspected by a building control officer (competent person )(true/ false)
Undefined - what they do, and who does it, varies.

Only a building control officer is allowed to sign of other persons work (true/false)
Essentially true.

Part P

I have been given the correct size of SWA armoured cable to go from main building to outbuilding, electrician ("competent person") does not have skills or machinery to install a cable in a 600mm trench, I plan to install this myself and leave the ends as required...one in house...one in outbuildings...allowing plenty of slack for "competent person" to come and do his stuff...I dont need building regs to carry out the cable laying (true/false)
True, but discuss whether the electrician wants to see the cable lying in the trench before you backfill it.

True there is no qualification to be an electrician so all the law is interested in is that you can show you did not intend to endanger anyone by your actions.
False the work can be done by anyone it is only the doing of certain types of work in domestic premises which is restricted again likely some way to show you do not intend to endanger anyone by doing the work. What it does say for the restricted work you must either inform LABC first or use an electrician who is a member of a scheme.
All major works if undertaken by a "incompetent" person is notifiable to building control and will be inspected by a building control officer (competent person )(true/ false)
False first it not incompetent the names are "Ordinary", "Instructed", "Skilled", and "Competent" in that order and this has nothing to do with Part P I am competent but not registered under the scheme so I would need to pay fee to LABC to do any of the restricted work. Members of a scheme are monitored by the scheme operator nothing to do with skill it's to do with trust and paying a fee.
False no one can sign off some one else's work. However the building control officer can issue a completion certificate after viewing the installation certificate and the latter could have three signatory's

For anyone to be in control they must be able to monitor and instruct through the whole process. It does not matter if it's an electrician who is in control of a local authority building inspector.

So the person in control would check depth of trench. Ensure if required sand is laid. Ensure tiles or tape is used. And any other bits which are involved. You can work for an electrician and he can instruct you to dig a trench etc. But you work for him even though he is in turn working for you. The same applies with LABC you pay him his fee then he has to decide what he will trust you to do between visits. But he is in control of the job from start to finish.

There are exceptions in an emergency I could do work then inform him after but I would have to show it was a genuine emergency and from time to time it does happen where to comply with regulations one finds what should have been simple has encroached into an area where the LABC needs to be informed. And although up to now they have not taken any action they get very upset if you inform them after doing the job and they could insist for example in your case that you re-expose the cable for them to inspect.

A assume this is question based on a domestic property/installation.
true
false
true in respect that the building control officer may be competent at their job but may not be a competent electrician.

false
true, but they may want to see it before it's covered over.

Sponsored Links
"Only a building control officer is allowed to sign of other persons work (true/false)"

As BAS says essentially true - ie only is so far as a completion notice for Part P of the Building Regs is concerned when a non registered person has notified in advance but not in as far as as the Wiring Regs are concerned ie the two are different things so it depends upon what you mean by sign off .

Actually I`ve not made that too clear either!

I was just thinking "Part P? No, it's schedule 4 now"

but I had a look at Ban's link, and it does take you to Schedule 4.

I suppose it will keep that name, like the Ministry of Transport's Ten-Year Test is still called an MoT.

Are Major Works and Minor Works common and/or well defined terms? The only usage I've seen is the link posted (and written by) BAS, in which "Major work is classed as notifiable".

In which case, by definition, the work can be carried out by anyone but must be notified to LABC unless carried out by someone registered to self certify.

slight correction (sorry)

The work is still notifiable even if done by a registered person but may be done so, after the event, via the scheme provider

I was just thinking "Part P? No, it's schedule 4 now"

but I had a look at Ban's link, and it does take you to Schedule 4.

I suppose it will keep that name, like the Ministry of Transport's Ten-Year Test is still called an MoT.

Part P is still Part P - it has been since it was first introduced. The only change took place in 2006 when The Building and Approved Inspectors (Amendment) Regulations 2006, S.I. 2006 No. 652 changed the wording of P1 and removed P2.

Part P was never the same thing as Schedule 2B, and is not the same thing as Schedule 4.

What was Schedule 2B is now Schedule 4, but Part P still exists:

34245971.jpg

The definition of work that is Not Notifiable is contained in the earlier link.

Therefore, everything that is NOT defined as Not Notifiable...

"Minor Works" is a trade term and IMO not helpful if you are talking about what's notifiable. Minor Works in a bedroom might be Not Notifiable, but the same job in a kitchen or bathroom might be Notifiable.

The definition of work that is Not Notifiable is contained in Schedule 4 (formerly Part P), see the earlier link.
No - Schedule 4 was formerly Schedule 2B.

Part P was formerly Part P.

They are two different things!

Therefore, everything that is NOT defined as Not Notifiable...
... is notifiable. It worked that way when it was Schedule 2B which defined what was non-notifiable too.

"Minor Works" is a trade term and IMO not helpful if you are talking about what's notifiable. Minor Works in a bedroom might be Not Notifiable, but the same job in a kitchen or bathroom might be.
That's true.

IHNI, but I doubt that it would be feasible to use one for the sort of job which Russell plans.

Here is the direct link to Schedule 4 of the current building regulations:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2214/schedule/4/made

Read down the list. When you find something in that list which matches the work you intend to do, then the work is not notifiable. If you reach the end without finding an exemption which matches what you intend to do, then it is notifiable. The only issue then is with the interpretation of what some of the exemptions actually mean - Search for "Part P" or "Schedule 4" and you'll find lots of previous threads about that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back