Part P prosecutions - >£16,000 in fines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bathroom fitter was fined a total of £15,000 and required to pay £1,066 in costs after pleading guilty to contravening the Building Regulations with regard to electrical work in a bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Presumably a number of offences relating to dodgy work, rather than doing a perfectly fine job but simply failing to notify...

and how many thousand are still getting away with it. i am sick of them ringing me up saying

" i have just installed some lights and a fan in a bathroom can you give me a cer"

AT THAT POINT THE PHONE GOES DOWN :evil: :evil:

The defendant, who was not an electrician, had failed to comply with BS 7671 when installing an electric shower. Also, while the installation of the shower was incomplete, the complainant had not been advised that the shower was awaiting inspection and testing, and should not be used.
The fitter pleaded guilty to three charges at a hearing at Bath Magistrates Court. He was fined £1,000 for the part P offence, £250 each for two other offences. These were that he had failed to give a Building Notice to the Council prior to commencement of the work, and that he had failed to give notice of commencement and completion of certain stages of the work.

Sponsored Links
ha! Doing it for a living, unqualified and (in some way) non-compliant. Might or might not have been his first time.

I'll be interested to see if a housholder is ever prosecuted for properly fitting an additional socket in his kitchen (and neglecting to use the 2004 time machine which I keep in my loft)

John, its very unlikely that a householder will be prosecuted unless they cause serious injuries to a member of their household or sell the house in a dangerous condition. This is just the start and I think you will see a lot more prosecutions in the future, but on 'tradesmen' who are rewarded for their 'work'. So your safe for now. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back