Replacing a light fitting in an ensuite

So since we work to the 17th Edition holmslaw is right. Outside the zone will be the 2.25m above the finished floor level or the height of a fixed shower head or water outlet whichever is the higher.

Sponsored Links
You will be if you fail to notify work which is outside of the 17th Zones but in one of the 16th ones.

Sponsored Links
Everything above 2.25m is outside the Zones as defined in the 17th Edition.

The Building Regulations concerning notifiability still refer to the 16th Edition, and above 2.25m might be outside the Zones, or you might need to be above 3m.

See //www.diynot.com/wiki/electric...zones-in-relation-to-notifiable-work.[/QUOTE]

No - the latest amendment changed that so they now refer to the 17th Edition Zones.

And since the Wiki is a collective responsibility, he could have edited that, too.

The Building Regulations concerning notifiability still refer to the 16th Edition, and above 2.25m might be outside the Zones, or you might need to be above 3m.
See //www.diynot.com/wiki/electric...zones-in-relation-to-notifiable-work.[/QUOTE]
No - the latest amendment changed that so they now refer to the 17th Edition Zones.
And since the Wiki is a collective responsibility, he could have edited that, too.
BAS how come it is my fault that you got it wrong - A simple 'hands up' I got it wrong would have done - end of story. Or are we now working to the rule:
Rule 1: BAS is always right.
Rule 2: When BAS is wrong rule 1 applies.
I hope not!

BAS how come it is my fault that you got it wrong
It's not.

But it is your fault that you chose to write this:

So what, I will still use the 17th edition and I will not be in breach of the Building Regulations.

and this:

No I wont - where does it say that?

rather than saying that the legislation had been updated.

A simple 'hands up' I got it wrong would have done - end of story.
A simple "No - the latest amendment changed that so they now refer to the 17th Edition Zones" in reply to this would have done - end of story.

sorry guys, didn't mean to open the proverbial can of worms.

Without trying to discredit the helpful advise and information you have all provided I think it might be best if I get a qualified electrician in who can self certify - and save me a head ache :)

The only trouble I have with this approach is that I would need to find a electrician blind as no one I know would be in a position to recommend one.

With this in mind can anyone provide a steer on what work would be entailed for an electrician to install the down lights and be compliant to regulations? This will hopefully give me an idea on how much this work is likely to cost - forewarned and forearmed so to speak.

For my 2 pence worth I believe I would require 12v (with transformer) Px4 rated down lights. However would the lighting circuit for the upper floor (which the en suite is wired to) also require an RCD at the main unit? I ask because although my house is approx 10 years old the lighting circuit is not protected by RCD and simply uses fuse cartridges.

Thanks for your continued help and support - it's very much appreciated

:D

So I guess rule 2 applies then. ;)
1) Show me where I'm claiming that I wasn't wrong, or denying that I was.

2) When you've failed to do that, try growing up instead.

So I guess rule 2 still applies then.

You assumed that I knew that the latest amendments had changed the reference to the 17th edition - I didn't - so you were wrong there.
As soon as the 17th edition of BS7671 came out I immediately ignored everything in the 16th edition - it had no relevance to me it was a dead document - nice for historical reference - but of little use.

So if this had come up twelve months ago I would still have said applying the 17th edition to Part P would not have broken the law.

As for your ridiculous statement that I would liable if I failed to notify work outside the 17th zones but in one of the 16th zones is arrant nonsence and you know it.

So I guess rule 2 still applies then.
Are you hard of thinking?

You assumed that I knew that the latest amendments had changed the reference to the 17th edition - I didn't - so you were wrong there.
If you didn't know that then you would have believed that the law still referred to the 16th, so why on earth did you write:

So what, I will still use the 17th edition and I will not be in breach of the Building Regulations.
?

If you didn't know that there had been amendments changing the definition of "special location" to reflect the changed Zones in the 17th, why did you write:

You will be if you fail to notify work which is outside of the 17th Zones but in one of the 16th ones.

No I wont - where does it say that?

As soon as the 17th edition of BS7671 came out I immediately ignored everything in the 16th edition - it had no relevance to me it was a dead document - nice for historical reference - but of little use.
Unfortunately it took the law over 2 years to catch up. Now - you can rail against that as much as you like, and pour as much scorn and derision on the heads of the civil servants responsible as you like, but it would do you as much good as howling at the moon - it would not change the fact that until 1st October 2010 the definition on law of "special location" referred to the definitions in the 16th edition.

So if this had come up twelve months ago I would still have said applying the 17th edition to Part P would not have broken the law.
And you would unquestionably have been wrong.

As for your ridiculous statement that I would liable if I failed to notify work outside the 17th zones but in one of the 16th zones is arrant nonsence and you know it.
At the time I made it I did not know that.

You were also unaware of the change, but you made assertions based on it - i.e. you made claims which you believed were nonsense.

You did not know that the law no longer referred to the 16th, yet you said "So what, I will still use the 17th edition and I will not be in breach of the Building Regulations.", so you should probably be wary about passing judgements like "arrant nonsense".

It's all rather academic. The work is notifiable because it involves 12V lighting.

I thought it was notifiable because the OP was adding lighting points (switches or light fittings) to an existing circuit in a special location. It would not have been notifiable if he had simply changed the current ceiling light as suggested.

Your reference above to 12V lighting and your earlier comments about special installations would imply that to fit downlighters anywhere in the house would require notification - which is not correct.

As far as I am aware all lighting units sold in Europe have to be CE marked - and I am struggling to find your reference for such units to have a plug and socket connections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back