Part P, The Aftermath

Colin_p said:
[In esscence all part P says is "If you need electrics doing, it is going to cost you a b****y fortune." and because of this, what are people going to do? They will ignor it just like the majority do when it comes to pointless law, like unrealistically low speed limits.
That is the point. People just aren't going to follow it and it will die in he long grass where it will end up. I laugh when I see advice on here whittering on about an obligation to inform before doing work when we all know full well that SFA will happen if we don't. Ask a beak how many cases he has heard at his court from this. I'll be he will say none.

Sponsored Links
can anyone tell me what type of grading on a cscs card would a domestic installer get. and as what trade

danlightbulb said:
Personally I think gas is more dangerous than electricity and worthy of the corgi regs.

The reason I think this is that most electrical faults on a circuit will trip the mcb's / rcd's thus offering major protection.

No way of tripping a gas supply.

mcbs/rcds will only operate if the circuits are designed and installed correctly.

Sponsored Links
Whenever Part P is discussed it turns into a contest as to who is better C&G sparks or DIs. The truth is there are good and bad in both camps.

Surely the only question should be is the person competant, and it would be better if this was properly defined. For CORGI registration there is one body and one set of qualifications. IMO it would be better if the same applied to us, with BS7671 as the standard. I would suggest that 2381/2391 plus some installation training course should be mandatory for anybody trading as an electrician. I would also say these qualifications should be held before the spark starts trading. There was justification in 2005 for allowing people to trade without the necassary qualifications, as the courses were booked solid, but that's not the case now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back