Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Don't know whether this has been covered before as I've only been a member a few weeks but what is the general feeling about Part P as I have been in the industrial electric sector for about 10 years (Did contracting for 9 years before that)
Is it stopping the cowboys,does it bring in more work,are the public aware of it or is it too early to tell

Ricicle

Sponsored Links
some electricians are making more money out of it, others just see it as another overhead with little associated advantage, semi retired sparkies or those who did domestic on the side are placed in a particularlly tough situation.

competant diyers that are aware of it hate it and often plan to ignore it.

bad diyers are ignorant of it.

some kitchen fitters and the like seem to be using people who are competant now though a lot of sh1t still goes on.

use of extention leads is strongly encouraged by this kind of law and it is encouraged in the very locations where extention leads are the least safe (e.g. kitchens)

Interesting comment I had from someone who asked me to quote for a CU change when I told him he said b*gger that I'll do it myself can't be that difficult connecting wires up.
He said he didn't worry about building regs he'll sell his house at auction.

Sponsored Links
frankly with virtually none of the housing stock having existing detailed certification and the number of minor works that are allowed without notification it will be very hard to tell if a house has had part P violating work done or not.

as long as a property passes a PIR (marked as previous records not availible) i can't imagine there will be any trouble selling it now or in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back