Part P Will Diyers bother

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been reading on here about part P, if I had not found this site I would not be aware of part P.

I wonder if local councils will be putting flyers through doors.

The point I am making is that I would not be any the wiser & would still be doing my own wiring.

I wonder how many other people will not here of part P, & if they are aware will they say B*ll***s & get on with it.

No doubt the sparkies on here will come across bad wiring in a few years time that was completed after part P.

Just my thought

Sponsored Links
yeah i know a lot of poeple who when i say part p they have no ider what the hell iam goin on about, i dont no i big deal about it myself. i dont think the thought it throw as good as they could of.

I havent seen anything official, but there was an article on this in the manchester evening news a few days ago (didnt actually mentioned part p by name, but mentioned a lot of things you can/cant do). Someone also phoned in to a talk show on the radio about it, I didnt hear it but apparently they reckoned you wouldnt be able to do any electrical or building work. So I guess the word is spreading slowly, but as you say, whether anyone actually takes any notice is another matter!

Sponsored Links
There was a brief item on the new rules on the local ITV news in my area (Anglia TV). They had a brief interview with a spokesman for the NICEIC who extolled on how it was a great step forward which would improve safety, and mentioned that DIY work would need to be inspected by the council at a cost of £160. I can only guess they obtained that figure from their local council (Norwich City), as the figure for my district (North Norfolk) has been set at £60 + VAT.

Of all the people who do DIY work I've spoken to so far, I can give you an exact figure for those who intend to notify and pay the fees: None.

Paul_C said:
Of all the people who do DIY work I've spoken to so far, I can give you an exact figure for those who intend to notify and pay the fees: None.

I agree, and I don't blame them. If an "old dear" on her pension needs to have work done, and her kind neighbour is now not allowed to do it for her, what happens then.

Is her local sparks going to offer to do the work and she pay on the never never, I doubt it. (but not impossible) So what happens then? She either pays out money she can't afford or lives with it, we all know the extremes that these people go to to save even the smallest amount of cash, even to the extent of turning off the heat in winter. I'm sure there are people in the trade who would do work at minimal cost for some people in this situation, but you still have to make a living.

Now it seems that Building Control are passing the buck with their so called inspections, saying that if you DIY, you get it tested and give them the Cert from the sparks that tested it, after a site visit they can then sign the work as completed. This is the biggest b@lls up I've seen in years.

Salem.

salem2000 said:
Now it seems that Building Control are passing the buck with their so called inspections, saying that if you DIY, you get it tested and give them the Cert from the sparks that tested it, after a site visit they can then sign the work as completed. This is the biggest b@lls up I've seen in years.

Salem.

so if i had a test certificate would they test it? even if they dont, they would still charge

Was told by my local BRO. Notify work to be done, do work, have it tested by Sparks (not registered) get Cert from Sparks, take/send Cert to BRO, they make site inspection, then sign work as completed. THEY DO NOT TEST. and Yes they charge you for the visit (est £60 - £120)

Salem.

BTW has anyone noticed that the wiring regs are produced by IEE but MIEE (member of IEE) is not on the list of competent persons :evil: .

Malc said:
BTW has anyone noticed that the wiring regs are produced by IEE but MIEE (member of IEE) is not on the list of competent persons :evil: .

The word 'engineers' should tell you what you need to know. An electrical engineer does not lay cable and connect accessories - installation contractors do that.

For those that aren't going to bother with certs & notification - think on this...

When you come to sell your property and the canny buyer gets an electrical inspection done (every surveyor recommends it), you'll have to hope the inspector can't tell when the work was done. If he sees new colours he might guess it was post Part P and ask for the cert. You'll probably then have to get a retrospective inspection done before the sale can proceed, at which point it may be asked why it wasn't done at installation time. Is that when you get the fine?

If your house burns and they suspect electrics as the reason, there's a chance the insurer will look for evidence of uncertified wiring and use that as a way to wriggle out of paying. £160 looks cheap then.

I've been doing my own electrics with apparent success and no mishaps for years and never had an inspection done, but I'll be covering my arse from now on.

Bodger

bodger67 said:
If he sees new colours he might guess it was post Part P and ask for the cert.
He might guess that, but as the new colors have been available for months before part P became effective he'd have a hard time proving it.

Besides, don't forget that the replacement of a damaged cable is exempt from notification. The cable with new colors could have been a replacement for one which had been there for years.

and how many people get a full electrical survey done when they buy a house on top of all the other costs, very few unless the wiring looks ancient to their eyes

Agree with both comments - its up to the individual to decide whether to take the chance.

I'm not sure if its a good or bad thing that the people who will know the excuses to use in these situations will be the ones most likely to have done it all right in the first place and got the appropriate certification to prove it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back