Part P - Elecrtics Help - Please!

Again missed what had been said but as to a periodic inspection report anyone with knowledge may do this it has nothing to do with Part P.

However insurance is needed and this would be Professional Identity not just public liability.

Please tell us what happens. As electricians we don't have the problems you have so interesting to see what happens.

As to "gibson8206" I would be writing to my MP now before election and complain about this Part P and the council not following the government publication. I am sure he would solve it rather quick with election coming along?

Sponsored Links
smoothcrm,
as people have stated there are many issues here which from a registered leckies point are very annoying.
In answer to your remark about all sparks having to be registered, only for domestic work!
so presume your man is working in industry/commercial/maintenance field and not domestic?
If he is a qualified leckie working anywhere he must be testing and issuing certs as a routine since it's a requirement of electricity at work regs as well as IET regs.
This being so how can he be doing so without access to test gear?
Sorry not much help, but would endorse comment over LABC since rules are if they want more than a couple of ticks on a bit of paper from their inspector or employed subcontractor THEY must pay for it!

Morning smoothcrm.

First, ignore ban_all_sheds. He likes to jump in first with his agressive posts

Aggressive maybe, but in this case I will stick up for him. Don't ignore him!

Reet, sounds like you have a problem. Unfortunately, and this is quite misunderstood on here, the council have the power to make you pay for this test.

I don't think they do. Let them test, that's what the OP paid for. If the council want to chase the lawbreaker, let them.

[/quote]So what I'd do is be nice to the council and point out that you have already paid for their services and they should treat this in exactly the same way as when they inspect your foundations. i.e. you pay them, they inspect, and if they satisfy the regulations, they issue a certificate.
Sounds good. If it does not comply, let them chase the cowboy.

thanks again - im not going to ignore anyone .....

i think the chap that did the work is a non domestic contractor - and prob doesn't get involved with this side as much, but yep im not excusing the fact he should have been able to test it but like i say i didn't know this until it was too late !

would it be best to simply get a full periodic by a proper part p sparky????

if so what sort of costs should i be looking at, if you all don't mind helping me out ??

three bed house
lights up / down, two rings, 1 cooker, one shower

all cable is still accessible as i am still decorating and floor boards are exposed etc???

Sponsored Links
Hi, Just to try and prevent you making another unintentional mistake, It is my understanding that you can be a domestic Part P qualified installer but you need not be registered. This does mean the person can do your PIR, installs etc and issue the relevent certificate but unless they are registered then you will still need to pay for the LABC sign off. Also there are different types of certificate the EIC and the Minor works certificate. You need a EIC, the person you used previously may not be aware of this and gives you the wrong certificate, whether the results have been made up :eek: or correctly done and you still will not have the correct paperwork for the work thats been done.

I think the main concern from the other sparks on here is that when putting in a new CU the spark becomes responsible for all the circuits being connected to it. They must test the circuits they are connecting to it to ensure that the existing circuits are within tolerances.

Such tests include making sure that the insulation hasn't broken down on the cables, checking the earth fault loop impedance is within spec so that your protective devices work, making sure RCD's trip in the required times at the required loads, confirming that there are no earthing problems at the property etc etc...

While you are completely within your rights to go down the LABC route and have the council inspect and test by paying the fee to them - which they should be doing but are not doing (this is happening all over England & Wales), the fact that your spark did not issue you a certificate is unacceptable. BS7671 requires it.

Irrespective of the problem you have getting your completion certificate, you have no way of knowing that your new CU is working correctly as it should. :(

the fact that your spark did not issue you a certificate is unacceptable. BS7671 requires it.

Not to say that replacing the panel without testing is necessarily a good thing, but as far as the legal ramifications are concerned, BS7671 may require a lot of things, but there is nothing which requires anyone to follow BS7671.

And yes, while a lot of councils seem to think they can get away with trying to impose any conditions they like despite the fact that they have no legal authority to do so, shouldn't that be a reason to call them out on it and insist that they follow the rules? After all, they're pretty insistent about everybody else following rules, aren't they?

have the council inspect and test by paying the fee to them - which they should be doing but are not doing (this is happening all over England & Wales), the fact that your spark did not issue you a certificate is unacceptable. BS7671 requires it.(

Isn't that the point? Are not the council confirming compliance to BS7671 as part of the part P approval process?

He's paid the guy to to the install and paid the LBCO to do the inspection and testing. He has an installation which has been inspected by the LBCO at 1st and 2nd fix but has not been tested. (I appreciate most sparks would want to test before changing the CU)

The council appear to be in breach of contract as they are required to inspect and test as part of the same process, they have inspected but not tested. Surely they are the ones who should be issuing the certificates, that's what the fee is for isn't it?

In the end this is a DIY job done by a spark, if I did a DIY job under the same circumstances with approval from the council I wouldn't be doing the testing and issuing of certificate would I?

hi smoothcrm have a look at approved document p
ericmark has provided you with a link to download it
you may find page 11 / 1.26 helpful

thanks for the replies

The council appear to be in breach of contract as they are required to inspect and test as part of the same process, they have inspected but not tested. Surely they are the ones who should be issuing the certificates, that's what the fee is for isn't it?

Hi

thanks, thats my point too really - i was failing to understand why i had to pay them over a 100 pounds for them comming round for about 7 mins and saying - yep you have trunking in your wall and yep the new CU is split load and correct thanks bye !

Then they came round again , walked up to the new CU looked at it for about 30 seconds, asked me a question, then left.

Thats not a bad rate of pay if you ask me !

From the outset i simply thought i can get a non part p chap to do the work and pay the council to do the testing? and be safe and law abiding !

I have now read the part P doc, thanks, so I will mention this section to them when i call then next week ! see what they say !!

Are not the council confirming compliance to BS7671 as part of the part P approval process?

They're inspecting to confirm compliance with the building regulations, not with BS7671. Again, some councils are still pushing the idea that wiring must comply with BS7671, when the law says no such thing.

Surely they are the ones who should be issuing the certificates, that's what the fee is for isn't it?

Yes. Although from everything said about what the average council agent knows about electrics (as in the comments above about brief glances and a vague "Looks all right"), any certificate is pretty worthless with regard to real electrical safety in my book. But is satisfies all the worthless legalities.

i was failing to understand why i had to pay them over a 100 pounds for them comming round for about 7 mins and saying - yep you have trunking in your wall and yep the new CU is split load and correct thanks bye !

Then they came round again , walked up to the new CU looked at it for about 30 seconds, asked me a question, then left.

Thats not a bad rate of pay if you ask me !

And that's why I consider the fees downright extortionate.

Been away - I'm going to try and pick out just a few points, as most of it has been churned over and over - apologies in advance if I end up unnecessarily repeating what's already been said and/or miss anything.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the person who did the work may be, the position with regard to testing and inspection for Part P is clear.

When you notified the work and paid the building fee, was the council offering you a specific reduction in the fee if you supplied a certificate? From the price mentioned, I suspect not.
At £100 it might well be - that's towards the low end of the range for normal LABC charges.

If you did not notify under that caveat to get a reduced fee, then legally the council has no authority to demand that you supply them with a certificate at all. Certain local authorities are still trying to demand that, but they have no legal backing and have been told to stop, so don't let them intimidate you with nonsense about "You must do this" etc.
I agree, but it's a bit late now. smoothcrm has paid his fee, and I;m sure that the council policy, no matter how wrong it might be, is documented on their website. If he doesn't want to acquiesce I can't see that he'd have any option now but to sue them.

If you paid the full applicable fee, then if the council wants a certificate it's up to them to arrange testing or pay for it out of the fee you gave them.
And if they just say "no", as I'm sure they will, what can smoothcrm realistically do?

Thanks for your reply – all beit seems more of a rant at me despite the fact, I have tried to do all the right processes as dictated by the council !!!
It wasn't a rant.

Which council is it? I'd like to see their website to see exactly what they say about electrical work.

it's that you used a dangerous and incompetent cowboy instead of a proper electrician.

you say this purely based on the fact he has no test equipment ?
Absolutely, without any question or hesitation. Doing a job like the one he did without testing and certifying is utterly unacceptable. No electrician with a shred of decency or professionalism would contemplate it.

cant say I see that as fair, if he still is qualified etc
Qualified drivers regularly kill people by doing appallingly dangerous and incompetent things on the road. Their qualifications are irrelevant, just as are the ones your guy had, if he did. It matters not one iota how qualified he was - the job he did was inexcusably bad.

But as i say I asked and informed the council that the sparky was not part p, the council chap came around and checked the work before and after he installed the board and said it was fine but just wants to see the tests, which as i said i wasn’t excepting, i thought that was their job? as i paid them etc.
That is their job, but if they told you in advance that their policy was not to do their job....

Link to their website, please?

so this really helps me doesn’t it? Completely makes the whole process pointless doesn’t it.
Yup.

Do you want to try suing them?

I didn’t go with a part P person just simply because of the difference in costs
It costs a registered electrician a couple of quid to notify a job to the council.

It costs you £100 to use a non-registered electrician. For him to be cheaper overall he's going to have to cut a lot of corners.

the policy on the councils site does not clearly state anything regarding this work other than to fill out the form and inform them etc
If that's the case then you may be able to fight them, for if they don't say what their policy is then you have no reason not to expect it to conform to the guidance in Approved Document P and the ODPM circular.

And im supposed to know, read and understand part P document am I
Well, actually, yes.

You knew that there was such a thing as Part P, so the prudent thing to do would have been to find out about it. The prudent thing to do when employing any tradesmen to do work in areas unfamiliar to you is to see if there are any relevant trade associations, and find out from them about standards and regulations.

dont want to have an untested circuit,
And you should not have any, but sadly you have been let down by a cowboy.

i have no doubt that the sparky has replaced the board correctly.
I think you are alone in having no doubts.

its neat, tidy and i watched him do it etc i have seen it done before correctly as well.
Bit he did not do any testing, and he did not leave you with a certificate to say that his work complied with any recognised standards.

or formal guidance on this is what you need to do
We'll see what their website says.

plead with them to send one of their electricians round to test as they would do if you had done the work.
That might not be their policy, and taking them to court might be the only remedy.

Unfortunately, and this is quite misunderstood on here, the council have the power to make you pay for this test.

I don't think they do.
They have the power, but not the right.

would it be best to simply get a full periodic by a proper part p sparky????
There's no need for an electrician to be registered to be able to do PIRs.

But until we know if your council says he has to be...

It is my understanding that you can be a domestic Part P qualified installer but you need not be registered.
Part P is not a qualification, it is one of the parts of The Building Regulations.

People often use the term as a shorthand for being registered, so there cannot be any such person as a "Part P qualified installer" who is not registered.

BAS, again it may be use of words but my point was, someone can have sat and passed the exams for 17th edition and Part P, Hold certificates from recognised training boards etc but for whatever reason may have not joined one of the schemes or let their membership cease. Therefore not registered and therefore would be of no help to the OP in overcoming payment to the LABC.

As you said in your post an electrician does not need to be registered to do a PIR, the point i was trying to make to save the OP the cost of a PIR that does not help his situation with the council, although it may help put the OP's mind at rest on the safety of his install

BAS, again it may be use of words but my point was, someone can have sat and passed the exams for 17th edition and Part P,
There is no "Part P exam".

There is no "Part P qualification".

Therefore not registered and therefore would be of no help to the OP in overcoming payment to the LABC.
Yes - we all know that, and have done for 5 years.

As you said in your post an electrician does not need to be registered to do a PIR, the point i was trying to make to save the OP the cost of a PIR that does not help his situation with the council,
:rolleyes:
You should have a competent person check it, if only for your own safety - who knows what cock-ups your cowboy did. The electrician does not need to be registered to do this, but if your council say he does then you'll have to go along with what they say.

hi

I have had a quick chat to the council and asked them if my 120 pounds included them doing anything other than coming out to have a look, and they basically said no were not electricians so we don’t do the testing

Just to clarify had/have 3 options really

1) use a registered person under a part p scheme

2) pay the council and fill out the forms etc and get a sparky who can complete a 7671

3) or pay the council and fill out the forms etc do the work myself or by an unregistered person and get another sparky to issue the 7671 form

so inadvertently I am doing option 3 although at the start I thought I was doing option 2.

So i think i am left with getting a part p registered person to do a periodic insp to cover the testing of the DU as well as all the other parts of the house that haven’t yet been checked for safeties sake!

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back