DIYers and Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As an occasional user of this forum, I'm aware that "Part P" has been covered at some length (!) and that there's no doubt a definitive answer to my question somewhere in the hundreds of thousands of posts, but as I cannot find 'the smoking gun', forgive me for asking: is an average DIYer ever compliant with the law in undertaking straightforward, non-notifiable work?

I consider myself quite capable of re-wiring a plug; I'm quite capable of putting in new switches, lights, etc; dammit, I even put a light in my loft (by extending a circuit). But I’ve come to realise (too late, it would seem) that, although these are non-notifiable jobs, they still of course have to be Part P compliant. As I understand it, amongst various things, this entails certain tests which I am not trained to undertake and the production of a certificate (which would be lodged with whom?) So am I right in thinking that I am a lawbreaker? If I were to replace a light switch and then walk away and do something else having replaced the last screw, should I wait for the rozzers to knock on the door? I'm fully aware of the plausible deniability in all of this ("ooh the previous owner got it all done with the new coloured cabling before the regs changed in 2005 and then his dog ate the certificate"); but call me old fashioned, I'd sooner not have to lie (I’m not very good at it). Would genuinely appreciate enlightenment and whether or not anything changes with all of this in April?

Sponsored Links
There is no definitive answer.

The first version of Part P explicitly required testing to be done, but that was soon dropped, and what we now have is:

So it immediately becomes a matter of opinion as to whether such reasonable provision would include testing or not, and of course not only are you then looking at opinions which will vary from person to person, you're looking at a spectrum of complexity of work.

Technically it would need a court case to determine if you were a lawbreaker if the only issue was that you did not test.

But you don't have to worry about plod breaking down your door at dawn.

Lying is not good, and nobody has ever been prosecuted for failing to notify, and only the most egregious examples of appalling work by tradesmen has led to them gripping the rail.

If you consider yourself responsible, I would urge you to get test equipment and learn how to use it. Certificates don't need to be lodged with anyone, but don't keep them in the dog's bowl.

Many thanks for your reply BAS - very enlightening ... or not, if you take my point. I would say that it's surprising the law is so hazy on this matter, but then, in all truth, it's not is it?

I do consider myself competent in very basic household electricity (well, put it like this, I wouldnt write in asking 'which hole the blue wire goes in'). So it's clearly a stark choice: either leave the house electrics alone, learn to test or remain a rebel. I'd prefer the middle option and I'm a dab hand at testing continuity etc on my simple multimeter; but I was under the impression that additional testing requires all sorts of equipment which basically acts as the profession's 'barrier to entry'. Are the tests fairly straightforward to learn?

... sorry in my last post, I didnt mean to imply that an electrical device is the only "barrier to entry"!! I think years of training and experience might come into it as well !!!!

Sponsored Links
The tests are not difficult to learn, and the equipment can be found on eBay for affordable amounts.

Where the years of training and experience comes in are in areas like

Testing someone else's installation for problems and compliance.

Being able to solve tricky physical installation problems without excessive disruption.

Knowing what products are available.

Working at the speed you'd need to do to be competitive when charging for your services.

Many thanks for your reply BAS - very enlightening ... or not, if you take my point. I would say that it's surprising the law is so hazy on this matter, but then, in all truth, it's not is it?

I do consider myself competent in very basic household electricity (well, put it like this, I wouldnt write in asking 'which hole the blue wire goes in'). So it's clearly a stark choice: either leave the house electrics alone, learn to test or remain a rebel. I'd prefer the middle option and I'm a dab hand at testing continuity etc on my simple multimeter; but I was under the impression that additional testing requires all sorts of equipment which basically acts as the profession's 'barrier to entry'. Are the tests fairly straightforward to learn?

Get a copy of Guidance Note 3 Inspection and Testing, the tests arent so difficult but understanding what you are testing for and understanding the results is the thing.

Also owning calibrated test equipment is a barrier.

I borrowed our calibrated fluke tester from work and did a set of tests on my own house just for my peace of mind. I had rewired it prior to Part P and was happy that it was done correctly, in accordance with regs but its always nice to know that its still as it was installed.

Get a copy of Guidance Note 3 Inspection and Testing, the tests arent so difficult but understanding what you are testing for and understanding the results is the thing.

Also owning calibrated test equipment is a barrier.

I borrowed our calibrated fluke tester from work and did a set of tests on my own house just for my peace of mind. I had rewired it prior to Part P and was happy that it was done correctly, in accordance with regs but its always nice to know that its still as it was installed.

Like everything else in this world, test equipment can be bought and maintained in calibration by anyone with the readies. I have quite an old CM500 ( had it calibrated last year ). I must admit its nice to know the readings on the test paperwork I was given after a CU change at home here are still the same now as they where then....

It might be worth considering going on a course at your local college but this would cost.

A friendly local electrician might need a mate to help them test so you could learn on the job.

Switching live and earth isn't something that you'd worry about unless you were a complete and utter spacca though, and failing to provide RCD protection on kitchen circuit falls is cost cutting to the point of being criminal.

Correct cable sizing, ring mains that aren't rings on all three conductors/impedance testing of your earth, and nicked insulation are the trickier ones to sign off on.

Expert opinion on these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VC60B-Dig...eter-DC250-500-1000V-AC750V-New-/281012060152

(as an "obviously ok" or "not ok" tool, rather than exactly how not ok the installation is, on the basis that every good install I've seen has been >40M and all faults <4M)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I was impressed by a domestic appliance technician from a nationwide company who before doing any work on the appliance used a plug in tester to verify that the socket was safe to use. It was company policy that this test was carried out on all service calls. Something that technicians had suggested should become policy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back