Part P external certification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1st January is nearly with us, and that marks the date at which kitchen and bathroom fitters anywhere west of Bristol will be (officially) unable to conduct their business. (Reason: There are no Unit 1 short corse training providers west of Bristol to enable fitters to become "competent persons").

This means that if I quote for any jobs which include electrical work affected by Part P, I will have to charge an external inspection/certification fee. Setting aside the fact that my local building control department won't know what to do, won't have any suitable inspection system in place, and won't have anyone on board who knows what a test meter looks like, let alone how to use it correctly, I will (of course) pass this inspection fee on to my customers.

However, inevitably, other competing fitters will not bother about this Part P business (because they won't spend a week in Bristol to do the training, or they won't want to involve an incompetent local authority, or they will run everything off 13A plugs and therefore absolve themselves from compliance) and therefore will quote for the work without certification and thus become unfairly competitive. No customer in this neck of the woods will know anything about new legislation, and will just accept whatever one of the cowboys tells them.

In the plethora of information available about Part P, can anyone point me in the direction of a simple, but officially published document, which I can show to customers to prove the existence of new legislation, and to justify the additional cost of external test and certification?

Sponsored Links
sign on van/business card sayin 'we comply with part P or building regs'

Don't know if this helps Handyman, but quite useful and easy-to-read info can be found at the websites of NICEIC/ IEE/ BRE/ Office of the Deputy Prime Minister. Sorry, but don't know yet how to post links to these websites. Hope this is of help.

andrew2022 said:
sign on van/business card sayin 'we comply with part P or building regs'
Nobody down here will put this on their van anyway, 'cos nobody will comply 'cos they can't get the training. But locals down here won't have any idea what this means anyway. Cowboys might say "we comply" (i.e. we work to the required standard), but won't be able to certify their work. Most times they'll say nothing, and when I go along and say "What about Part P certification cost", elderly customer will say "Well, all the other fitters can do it for less and they don't need certification"

I'm looking for documentary evidence to support my case.

I've been to all the relevant sites, and I've yet to find something succinct enough. If possible, I would prefer added respect of printed leaflet.

Sponsored Links
Yeah

I talked to the NIC and they said there was NOTHING I could do in terms of work that did not need notification. BLLOX....

I think they may have been trying to get me to sign up. Or am I being cynical?

[Loyd Grosman voice] "NIC, it's over to you...."

I agree with Handyman:-

"Nobody down here will put this on their van anyway, 'cos nobody will comply 'cos they can't get the training. But locals down here won't have any idea what this means anyway".

How will joe public know what part P is all about, will we get a flyer through the door to tell us all about it and what it means to the average householder?

Bodger and Jenki: This is what I require. Thank you.
The napit thing is a useful, easy to understand summary, and the 2-Jags thing gives you the full works. I don't know why I couldn't find these before. Thanks again, guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back