Part P certificates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With all the new regulations relating to the part P legislation electricians must be making a killing!! All I read is that if I do a certain job myself I have to get it certified, but how much do electricians actually charge to come out and inspect, say a new ceiling rose and issue a certificate??

Sponsored Links
impossible to say, depends on several factors.

who's the electrician? , what part of the country? whats the extent of the work?

not just as simple as that either. many electricians are very wary (and rightly so) about signing off other people's work. especially if they only have the DIY'ers word that they've routed the cables correctly or have jointed the cable suitably.

you've got to remember that the electrician might not be able to see all of the circuit.

me personally, i wouldnt sign off on anything unless (a) id done it or (b) i was 100 percent sure the circuit was up to standard.

mdlyons said:
With all the new regulations relating to the part P legislation electricians must be making a killing!! All I read is that if I do a certain job myself I have to get it certified, but how much do electricians actually charge to come out and inspect, say a new ceiling rose and issue a certificate??
Not quite the way it works.

Some DIY jobs you have to notify to your council in advance, and pay them a fee. For that fee they are supposed to carry out whatever inspections they want, and then they issue you with a Building Regulations completion certificate.

No electrician that you employ can certify your work as being compliant with the Building Regulations.

ok , but what if the work was not notifiable and was say the installation of a new downlight in place of a ceiling rose (with all the wiring visable). Are we talking 20, 40, 100 quid for example in the london area?

Sponsored Links
mdlyons said:
ok , but what if the work was not notifiable and was say the installation of a new downlight in place of a ceiling rose (with all the wiring visable). Are we talking 20, 40, 100 quid for example in the london area?

The installation of a downlight inplace of a ceiling rose is notifiable.

As has already been said, it is unlikely you will find an electrician who will sign off someone elses work.

The only real option would be to get a periodic inspection report carried out on the installation.

I was informed that it was only if it was in a bathroom or kitchen???

mdlyons said:

Nope. Downlighters anywhere becuase of the risk of badly fitted downlighters setting fire to joists ETC, and also to ensure fire rated downlighters have been fitted where apropriate.

Following posts on this thread, I have contacted my local(east herts) buildings control department, and have been informed that this work is NOT notifiable.

How are us Diyers meant to understand this law if the pro's give differing answers.

mdlyons said:
Following posts on this thread, I have contacted my local(east herts) buildings control department, and have been informed that this work is NOT notifiable.

They are wrong.

This is the latest version of Approved document P

Approved document P said:
Special installations: Extra-low voltage lighting installations, other than pre-assembled, CE-marked lighting sets

Special installations are notifiable work.

RF Lighting said:
mdlyons said:

Nope. Downlighters anywhere becuase of the risk of badly fitted downlighters setting fire to joists ETC, and also to ensure fire rated downlighters have been fitted where apropriate.
You're making that up.

RF Lighting said:
mdlyons said:

They are wrong.
No they are not - you are.

This is the latest version of Approved document P

Approved document P said:
Special installations: Extra-low voltage lighting installations, other than pre-assembled, CE-marked lighting sets

Special installations are notifiable work.
1) Before you get to that section of Schedule 2B the work qualifies as exempt via [code:1]1. Work consisting of -

(a) replacing any fixed electrical equipment which does
not include the provision of—

(i) any new fixed cabling; or

(ii) a consumer unit; [/code:1]

2) You don't know if these are ELV downlighters or not, and if they are, what are the chances of them not being CE marked?

I can confirm that they are pre assenbled low voltage, and CE marked.

When you say pre-assembled, do you mean that they provide wiring connectors, fittings and transformers all ready to connect up with no wiring other than the connection to the mains input?

yes, all that is required is to clip the connections for the lights together, and attach the transformer via a pre attached connection block to a t & eath attached to the existing ceiling ceiling rose connection(which obviously has to be changed to a junction box)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back