Part P Registration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a bit miffed at the lastest piece of bureacracy i.e. having to be Part P registered to work on domestic electrics. I can understand that it is to stop the so called 'cowboys' out their and make our homes safer. However, I have a degree in Engineering (Mechanical Electrical and Electronic); served part of my apprenticeship in an electrical training workshop and have sucessfully maintained the houses I've lived in over the past 32yrs.
Yes there are things that I still need to seek advice about and do. BUT how the hell are the local building authorities going to 'police' everybody's house?? If the don't have the original drawings for each of the properties, they are not going to know who's done what and when.
I am considering a domestic installers course run by OCLI which includes Part P certification and if anyone has experience of this body or knows anyone better / cheaper can they post it up? :(

Sponsored Links
BUT how the hell are the local building authorities going to 'police' everybody's house?? If the don't have the original drawings for each of the properties, they are not going to know who's done what and when.

It's not being policed by LABCs but when a property is in process of being sold the seller will have to fill out 'questions before conract' form this includes declarations of any work that requires building control approval and supplying copies of relevent BC certificates to buyers solicitor.

The sellor can, of course, deny any work but could be subsequently sued for misrepresenting the facts.

I am a bit miffed at the lastest piece of bureacracy
That would be 'latest' as in 'coming into force on January 1st 2005', would it? :D

i.e. having to be Part P registered to work on domestic electrics.
You don't have to be.

I have sucessfully maintained the houses I've lived in over the past 32yrs.
Maintenance is not an issue, neither is minor works outside a location of increased risk. But, just as for all other areas of the Building Regulations, work beyond a certain scope is notifiable and requires inspection/approval by Local Authority Building Control. Joining a competent persons scheme is an alternative route to compliance for suitably qualified practitioners.

To join a scheme you would need the minimum qualifiation you are contemplating (your degree is worth nothing in this regard, sadly). You would also have to carry £2m insurance, own an up-to-date set of reference books (regulations, onsite guide, Electricity at Work Regulations, etc) and a comprehensive tester, regularly calibrated. You will also, in the future, be required to demonstrate your currency wrt regs, which means CPD.

Registration would only make sense for you if you actually do rather a lot more than the maintenance you suggest.

Maintenance is not an issue
The law allows some specific replacements non notifablly but there are many it doesn't. Some sources claim that all like for like replacement is not notifable but that is NOT what the law says.

Also what exactly are you supposed to do if you know it is notifiable under the law but building control going on the non statuatory approved documents claim it isn't and won't let you notify? the whole thing is a farce.

neither is minor works outside a location of increased risk.
Only certain very specific types of minor work and the locations they consider locations of increased risk (particularlly kitchens) are among those most likely to need electrical work.

Joining a competent persons scheme is an alternative route to compliance for suitably qualified practitioners.
Thanks to them making lots of relatively minor work notifiable using someone who is a member of a self certification scheme is the only method that is reasonable for many jobs.

Sponsored Links
All points noted, Plug, but my post was for the OP to consider why he is thinking of taking the course he has mentioned. Unless he proposes something other than the upkeep of his own home, there is little point in becoming registered.

Simple maintenance, replacement and some minor additions/alterations are not generally notifiable and I did say, "work beyond a certain scope is notifiable".

I am entirely happy I have not misled anybody. ;)

It's not being policed by LABCs but when a property is in process of being sold the seller will have to fill out 'questions before conract' form this includes declarations of any work that requires building control approval and supplying copies of relevent BC certificates to buyers solicitor.

The sellor can, of course, deny any work but could be subsequently sued for misrepresenting the facts.

I'm just wondering how the potential buyer could prove that the work was done without a cert? the cable colours have changed but there was an overlap period before in September 04 when the colours first changed and then the legislation only came into force in jan 05?

Most of these forms don't mention that some electrical work needs B Regs approval so sellers don't put it down as they don't know. If they do they keep quiet and pretend they don't. How does the buyer prove the seller knew?

Most of these forms don't mention that some electrical work needs B Regs approval so sellers don't put it down as they don't know. If they do they keep quiet and pretend they don't. How does the buyer prove the seller knew?
Preliminary enquiry forms simply ask the vendor if certain works -electrical and other - have been carried out during their occupancy. Most people are basically honest and will answer truthfully. That's how it works in life as well... rules and laws generally keep honest people constrained; they only rarely deter criminal behaviour! :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back