part p in a shop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just wondering if anyone can help me. I am a time served qualified electrician, however i dont do any domestic work anymore. However my sister is buying a shop and it needs a full re-wire and i was going to do it for her, it has a flat attached to it but it has a seperate electricity supply. Therefore does the shop electrics still come under part p notifiable workThe info i can find on the net says part p only covers "dwellings" which is defined as
"The term dwelling includes houses, maisonettes and flats. It also applies to electrical installations in business premises that share an electricity supply with dwellings, such as shops and public houses with a flat above"

Please could someone clear this up for me.
Can i do the work myself, fill in a electrical installation cert and give it to them?

Sponsored Links
the flat has it's own supply, does it share any entrances with the shop or could it be sold off a seperate propery, if there are any shared areas how do you know if they are shop or flat electrics in that area?

AFAIK it would apply if the flat shares the same supply as the shop, but as you say the shop has its own DNO incommer and is entirely electrically seperate from the flat you do not need to notify the work.

Just a standard EIC will be all you'll need to issue for this work.

Sponsored Links
it has a communal doorway at the back, the upstairs flat has its own single phase supply and meter in the corridor, the shop has its own 3phase supply with the meter also in the corridor. They are totally independant of each other. So can i do this work myself if i get myself some insurance?

Firstly check with the insurance firm for the shop as to what they require, some of them are a bit funny as to who does the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back