Part P + Upgrading Oven

Like you, I cannot fathom the logic behind this, but I'm not a lawyer. That's why the law is explained to us in the Approved Documents. You can only go by what they say, no matter how illogical.
Even if not notifying is OK, not checking that the new In is still less than ≤ Iz, and that Zs isn't above the maximum for the new device before you install it, would be illegal.

Sponsored Links
I believe that a MCB is fixed electrical equipment and so you don't have to notify its change.

Well you would be very dangerously wrong there.

Based on your logic a whole consumer unit is fixed equipment, but that is notifiable.

Changing an MCB for one of the same rating is not notifiable, changing it for a different value changes the characteristics of the circuit, so that is notifiable.

Thanks Riveralt.

I wasn't challenging your advice, I was trying to understand the whole thing. This is new to me and while I'm not concerned about the advice, I do like to get it straight in my head. Suppose I am a techie in all areas, not just IT.

In my case, leaving as is isn't an option - the old one is well and truely DEAD - RIP.

So I'm looking to replace the oven pretty quickly - the wife has to bake some birthday cakes next week ....!!!!

This thread has been very useful to me and i'm actually interested in understanding more. Maybe I will be doing some more reading, just to get a full understanding of the elements.

Cheers.

Unless you'd like to argue that it is not reasonable to check that a cable won't melt or that an MCB won't fail to operate properly before just sticking a higher rated one into a circuit.

I don't understand what you mean BAS.

OP stated proposed oven size would be 4.8kw - cooker switch with socket, 6mm cable and 16Amp MCB.

4.8kw equates to 21amps. 6mm cable RM C = 46Amps well within limits.
After diversity circuit demand is 13.3Amps add five for the socket = 18.3Amps.

Regarding Part P and contacting BC I suggested that to avoid doing so he could simply replace the cooker switch to one with a socket and have a circuit at 13.3Amps.

So reasonable provision has been taken to ensure safety.

Sponsored Links
Riveralt:

I would have gone with that option if my kitchen socket wasn't mounted on tiles. As it is, I need a single 45A switch in a double pattress sized switch cover.

That way as you say, I wouldn't need to change anything and the wife would be happy :)

I don't understand what you mean BAS.
Ah.

You see, as you quoted Adam:

Simple swap of the oven is not notifiable however exchanging the circuit breaker foe one with different charateristics is (and the logic is sound on this one - someone thought to be verifying the zs is in spec for the new breaker, and that the cable, as installed is suitable*)

*In your case unless theres something excpetional, I can't see the later being an issue, and the former isn't likely to be an issue unless theres something wrong (but until you take the Zs you don't know)

Understand the logic, but can you show me where it says that?
I thought you were asking about what he said, i.e. that if changing the MCB for one with different characteristics it should be verified that Zs is OK and that the cable, as installed is suitable.

Silly me.

Changing an MCB for one of the same rating is not notifiable, changing it for a different value changes the characteristics of the circuit, so that is notifiable.

Taylortwocities - the advice given to me by my scheme provider was that this was not notifiable - has yours given you different advice?

Riveralt:

I would have gone with that option if my kitchen socket wasn't mounted on tiles. As it is, I need a single 45A switch in a double pattress sized switch cover.

That way as you say, I wouldn't need to change anything and the wife would be happy :)

You need what they call a twin pattress - it is a slightly larger than double pattress that has the ability to take two single gang switches/sockets/blanks. Apart from being slightly larger it has a bar running down the centre and two sets of screw holes.

Unfortunatley I cannot find any on the web at the moment.

Sorry guys - I'm not up on the terminology ...

I actually meant the front piece with the switch on it ...

128.%20G45ACCU.jpg

I have to admit I didn't think about the idea of a double back and using two singles on the front. One as a blank.

I was actually looking for a single cooker switch in a double socket. I could find vertical aligned ones, but not horizontal without the socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back