New Electric Oven Change (edited - mcb) rating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently purchased a new electric oven. However, when reading the installation guide it requires hardwiring to a dedicated 16A circuit. In my consumer unit the cooker circuit currently has a 32A MCB. Is it just a case of changing this to a 16A MCB?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I assume you mean 32 amp MCB ,or possibly An RCBO ?
You would not need to change the MCB .

I assume you mean 32 amp MCB ,or possibly An RCBO ?
You would not need to change the MCB .

When it was delivered the installer who fitted my gas hob mentioned that the oven would need the circuit reduced to 16A to be installed. Is there any reason for them to say that?

Sponsored Links
It has been raised many times that ovens and hobs rarely state the maximum supply requirement, although since a fixed appliance nothing to stop them. In the main the 32 amp MCB is used for cookers, be it a hob or oven, that is the British standard, there may be a problem with a 45 amp MCB but unlikely with a 32 amp as it has been the British standard for so long.

In the main the MCB at the consumer unit is to protect the cable, not the appliance, since the appliance is fixed, the manufacturer could stipulate size, but only ever seen minimum size stated, and often you have a duel appliance outlet feeding both hob and oven, so it would mean that manufacturers product would have a limited use, so would be rather silly to state anything under 32 amp as it would impact on their sales.

Most cookers will have the installation instructions on line, so if worried look it up.

The problem is once reduced to 16 amp, how would a future installer know it could be returned to 32 amp?

The oven is a NEFF B57CR22N0B

The following information is listed for the oven:

Electrical installation This product requires hardwiring to a 16 Amp fuse and should be installed by a qualified installer

Power supply 16 Amp (Requires hardwiring to a dedicated circuit)

Electrical power rating 3.45 kW

Just to check is it fine to use the existing 32A MCB with this oven? There is only the oven to be connected to the dedicated oven circuit. Thanks in advance.

By referring to the documentation left by the installer.
Is this see through documation? How many times when working on a domestic have you been given the stack of instaelation and minor works certificates covering previous work done?

I know it should exist, but if no compliance certificate required it seems other paperwork rarely raised.

Is this see through documation? How many times when working on a domestic have you been given the stack of instaelation and minor works certificates covering previous work done?

I know it should exist, but if no compliance certificate required it seems other paperwork rarely raised.
;):ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back