cooker connection to consumer unit

Looks like there would be space for another RCD and an MCB. You could get the board re-arranged so that everything was RCD protected.

I would want the kitchen sockets on an RCD, as this is a room you are most likely to have wet hands in when using equipment.

Sponsored Links
Yes 6mm radials are ok on 32A MCB's.

Do you know whether the CU was fitted at the same time as the oven/new kitchen ?

nothing has been revised since I have lived at the property (4years) both look quite old now, but no I don't know if they were both at the same time.

personally I would check (e.g at the oven outlet) that it isn't a ring.
I know its not a reckognised ring final configuration using 6mm, but i'm also amazed they are both on the same MCB when there is loads of space and what looks like a newly installed cable with the CU.

Or were they saving money on MCB's ? Afterall 3 wires going to one MCB.

Sponsored Links
It is if all the MCBs are connected to the Neutral side of the switch.

If you are comfortable doing it _

Can you switch off the main switch,
remove the grey plastic cover at the bottom and
post another picture.

Be careful as the incoming cables will still be live and if something is wrong other things may be too.

It is if all the MCBs are connected to the Neutral side of the switch.

If you are comfortable doing it _

Can you switch off the main switch,
remove the grey plastic cover at the bottom and
post another picture.

Be careful as the incoming cables will still be live and if something is wrong other things may be too.

erm, not sure why you are indicating something might be wrong based on what you can't see?
anyway i appreciate your concern, the live on the right top is connected at the bottom to the bus bar, the neutral is wired round to the neutral rail.

That's ok if you are certain but that's an odd way to do it.

it does look odd as the bus is off to the left so crosses the neutral, i suspect whoever installed it was set on following the polarity marked on the switch with live being on the right. i presume the switch is symmetrical so could be reversed as long as polarities aren't crossed obviously.

thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back