cooker connection to consumer unit

The bus bar and neutral link bar are unlikely to give the installer the choice.

I recall this has been covered on here before

Sponsored Links
The entire installation is reverse polarity, one of the most dangerous faults you could have, and needs to be sorted by a competent electrician without delay.

The entire installation is reverse polarity, one of the most dangerous faults you could have, and needs to be sorted by a competent electrician without delay.

can you explain rather than just making the statement how you have come to that conclusion after reading all the comments that have proceeded yours??

the live from the metre goes to the live side of the main switch that connects to the live busbar through all of the mcbs. connecting to all of the live wires to, what part is reverse polarity!!!

It does look odd, but I don't think it's possible to be completely sure one way or the other without a photograph with the busbar cover removed.

Sponsored Links
It does look odd, but I don't think it's possible to be completely sure one way or the other without a photograph with the busbar cover removed.

i'm completely sure, as explained previously I looked with my eyes and the bus is off the positive, but if it helps put this to bed and direct the attention to the enquiry first raised ill photograph later and upload :rolleyes:

No.

However, I've never seen that before and it is totally pointless.
Is it the manufacturer's or manufactured?

Either the main switch could be marked (and made) the other way round or fitted on the left.

Just out of curiosity, where does the supply tail to the RCD attach to this busbar?

Either the main switch could be marked (and made) the other way round or fitted on the left.
As I think you're probably implying, it's not just a question of marking. The switch would probably also have to be 'made' differently - since many (most? all?) main switches have 'make neutral first, break neutral last' functionality. One therefore cannot (should not) just 're-label'!

Kind Regards, John

Yes, quite but no real need as it should be on the left of the CU.

However, I think that the installer of this one has gone to some trouble as, perhaps, the tails would not reach the left.

As silly as it is some cu brands are designed like this.

It's not the installers choice or fault.

thank, yes that is exactly the point, it is manufactured like this and is there anything wrong with it, all some are saying is it different (and over complicated) from what some have seen before,

Yes, quite but no real need as it should be on the left of the CU.

However, I think that the installer of this one has gone to some trouble as, perhaps, the tails would not reach the left.

Although that busbar does look like it was made that way to me, and not modified to fit - looks very neat.

thank, yes that is exactly the point, it is manufactured like this and is there anything wrong with it, all some are saying is it different (and over complicated) from what some have seen before,
No, if that's how it was manufactured, there's nothing wrong with it - it's just a weird and seemingly unnecessarily over-complicated (hence more expensive) way of doing things - which some, maybe many, of us (certainly including me) have never seen before.

I would guess that the same manufacturer does (or did) produce CUs with the switch on the other side, and didn't want to go to the expense and trouble of having to produce a different switch for use on the right!

Kind Regards, John

i'm completely sure, as explained previously I looked with my eyes and the bus is off the positive, but if it helps put this to bed and direct the attention to the enquiry first raised ill photograph later and upload :rolleyes:

Are you happy you know what you are doing from your initial enquiry? :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back