Replace Built In Electric Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a new built in oven to replace my old one and I'd like to confirm a few things before I start.

The old oven was wired directly to a cooker control unit, which has an additional 13A socket. This was hard wired to a 32A MCB on the consumer unit using 6mm flex. I want to replace like for like using the 13A socket for the hob ignition.

The installation instructions do not quote the power output, but it does state that the oven must be protected with a fuse between 15A and 20A. It also says that the oven requires 2.5mm flex to the cooker control unit.

Is my current setup suitable to wire the new oven without changes? I am concerned that the control unit/MCB combination does not provide adequate rating.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Google the manufacture of the cooker and be precise about the cooker load, then the science will be easy.

Please post back the details.

NB By flex I assume you mean twin and earth 6mm. By socket I assume you mean a cooker point with intergrated socket.

Thanks for the response.

The model is Electrolux Intuition EOB 53000K.

Yes, it is 6mm twin & earth and the cooker control unit is a standard cooker point with integrated 13A socket.

The connected load (from Electrolux's site) is 3kW.

I'd suggest everything is okay.

The MCB rated at 32A could be dropped to a 20A, then again the cooker load doesn't take in to account the 13A socket on the cooker isolation plate.

Since the circuit wiring is rated for the MCB in situ everything is OK.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice Chri5, much appreciated.

From my calcs 3kW/230V = 13.04A. If I use a 20A MCB that leaves 7A available for the socket. Would this be enough for the ignition? (I don't have the spec for the hob off hand).

Ignition uses tiny amounts, for a tiny period- all OK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back