NEW COOKER WIRING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Currently got an in buillt oven that is connected vai a 13a plug head ,the socket behind the oven is fed with 6mm twin and earth from the cooker control unit above the worktops .The cooker control unit is fed withn 6mm and backed up by a 32a mcb .
Wifey wants a replacement cooker with a double oven
The loads of the one shes chosen are as follows
Dual Grill 1655/2575 w
Top Oven 1325 w
Main Oven 2300 w
Main Oven Fan 38 w
Light 25 w
Cooling Fan 25 w

Sorry dont know loads of existing oven but its been fine via the plug head feed in the past

Will the new oven need any upgrade to how its fed ?

I.e bigger MCB or change to a propoer cooker flex out let ?

Sponsored Links
From what you say it sounds as if you will only have to replace the socket with a Cooker Connection Unit as the new oven will have to be permanently connected.

You will need some heat-proof flex to connect the oven to the CCU - 4mm² will suffice.

Everything else sounds alright.

However, it would be advisable to have the circuit tested by an electrician with proper test instruments before you connect the new oven even if you can do the lob yourself.

Thanks for the response ,can i just ask when you say it needs a permanent connection ,is there a reason for it i.e the increased load or is there a feature of the oven that needs to be "on" all the time or by permanent do you mean changeing the socket to a cooker flex outlet
Reason I am trying to avoid the flex outlet is that the original oven is fed via a double socket and the other socket feeds the ignition on the hob as it would with the new hob thats coming with the oven and I didnt really want to be changeing the double box for a single one ,but if i did could i put both flexes from the oven and hob in the cooker flex outlet ?

Yes, it is the increased demand which will be too much for the 13A fuse in the plug. It's not because it needs to be on all the time, as such, although I expect it will have a clock, which obviously does.

You can get 'dual' - as opposed to 'double' - back boxes to which you can connect a CCU and a single socket but they are slightly wider than the 'double' so will need a bit of digging out of the wall to fit.

by permanent do you mean changeing the socket to a cooker flex outlet
Yes.

That's the trouble with having a Wifey

Edited to say 'double' instead of 'twin' - I don't know where that came from.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back